work container file

I was thrown back into Adabas administration after years of being away from it and many things have changed since I did it. This may be a basic administration question, but I don’t remember what to do in this case.

We may have lost the drive that has our Work container on it. The sys admins are currently trying to recover the drive. Since the database won’t start up without it, how do I go about recovering this container?

Thank you.

You don’t need to recover WORK, just format a new one with ADAFRM.

Do I name it different than the original one or do I give it a new name? For expample, WORK01 was the name of the original container. Do I name it WORK01 (since that one no longer exists) or name it WORK02 or does it matter? I thought the WORK containers were specific to the database. If so, won’t it be looking for WORK01 when I start up the database?

Thank you.

You are free to choose a name :wink:

Assuming we are talking about some *IX flavor, in $ADADIR/dbnnn/assign.bsh you will find the assignment of WORK1= to the actual physical container file name.

I tried to format a new WORK container and got the following error:

%ADAFRM-E-MISSPAR, missing mandatory parameter ASSOSIZE
%ADAFRM-E-MISSPAR, missing mandatory parameter DATASIZE

According to the book, I have to format the Associator and Data containers as well. The only container I need is the WORK. And, yes we are using HPUX. I see that you can remove and add containers using adadbm. Is that an option since I don’t need the Associator and Data containers?

Thank you.

Could you please post the adafrm-command you’ve entered?

Just a wild guess: Try to unset the ASSO/DATA environment variables before executing ADAFRM…

Here is the command I used.

%ADAFRM-I-STARTED, 12-OCT-2006 14:20:31, Version 3.2.2.19 (HP-UX 32bit)
adafrm: db=200
adafrm: worksize =(700m), workblocksize = 8k
adafrm:
%ADAFRM-E-MISSPAR, missing mandatory parameter ASSOSIZE
%ADAFRM-E-MISSPAR, missing mandatory parameter DATASIZE
adafrm:

The ASSO/DATA environment variables aren’t set.

Thanks.

The sysadmins finally got the drive restored and we were able to bring the database back up. Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Glad to hear you are back up.

The solution would have been to just format a mini ASSO / DATA as well, but throw it away afterwards and just use the newly formatted WORK dataset.

Just for reference you can create a new work file by formating a new TEMP file (this doesn’t need ASSO and DATA) and then renaming it to your WORK file afterwards

Peter

Just for reference you can create a new work file by formating a new TEMP file (this doesn’t need ASSO and DATA) and then renaming it to your WORK file afterwards

Peter