WmDeployer v7 and IS 6.5 SP1

Main question: Using Deployer, can I “pull” resources from an existing 6.5 SP1 server to a new 6.5 SP2 server?

I have 2 IS servers running in parallel. The first IS is 6.5 SP1 and contains my current development environment. The second server is IS 6.5 SP2 (installed with new 7.x installer).

I would like to point the new Deployer to the older development server and migrate my packages, etc. to the new server. For the most part, setting up the definitions has been a reasonable effort, however, I get the following issue:

In the server log:
[803]2007-05-22 14:11:24 EDT [ETD.0000.0000E] Error remote invoking service pub.remote:invoke on system v_DEN:

In the error log:
2007-05-22 15:22:26 EDT wm.deployer.gui.UIDependency:getUnresolvedBundleDependencies com.wm.app.b2b.server.ServiceException: Error remote invoking service pub.remote:invoke on system v_DEN:
2007-05-22 15:22:26 EDT pub.remote:invoke java.lang.ClassCastException: null
2007-05-22 15:22:26 EDT wm.server.remote:invoke java.lang.ClassCastException: null

I figured it may have something to do with not installing the WmDeployerResource package on the older server, so I pushed the new package to the old server. That completely broke the ability to do anything with Deployer. The following is what I get on the v7.x server now:

In the server log:
[973]2007-05-22 15:30:15 EDT [ETD.0000.0000E] [ISS.0026.9102] Service ‘wm.deployer.resource.gui.ISCluster:isValidClusterConfig’ is not operational. To run this service, first recompile the Java source.

In the error log:
2007-05-22 15:30:42 EDT wm.server.remote:invoke com.wm.app.b2b.server.ServiceException: [ISS.0026.9102] Service ‘wm.deployer.resource.gui.IS:ping’ is not operational. To run this service, first recompile the Java source.
2007-05-22 15:30:42 EDT pub.remote:invoke com.wm.app.b2b.server.ServiceException: [ISS.0026.9102] Service ‘wm.deployer.resource.gui.IS:ping’ is not operational. To run this service, first recompile the Java source.

I am not 100% sure if you can point a 7.0 Deployer to old assets. You defiintely cannot migrate packages from one version to another using Deployer.

I would appreciate if you could file a support Issue ticket.

Thanks
Krishnan

I was able to use the 6.5 SP1 Deployer to push my packages to the 6.5 SP2 server just fine. The key is to not push the WmDeployerResource from the old install to the new install. In other words, the updated WmDeployerResource on the new instance seems to be backwards compatible.

Note, I am not talking about the Wm* packages! I simply had 2 instance of the IS server running, one installed with the 6.5.x installer and one installed with the 7.0 installer. I tried to use the new Deployer to “pull” packages/files/etc. from the old server. The solution is to “push” from the old server using the old Deployer.

We are in the process of code migration from 6.1 versions to 7.0SP2 and I have few questions which are related to deployer as mentioned below.

Questions:
• Is it possible, can we create the deployer build from IS 6.1 (Using deployer 6.1 in solaris) and deploy it in IS6.5SP2 (using IS7.0 version of Deployer in windows)? I’m aware of that I need to make some changes (as per documentation) in the code after the deployment is been done. But just wanted to know does that work this way?
• Is it possible, can we create the deployer build from IS 6.1 (Using deployer 6.1 in solaris) and deploy it in IS6.5SP2 (using IS7.0 version of Deployer in Linux)?
• Is it possible, can we create the deployer build from IS 6.5SP2 (Using deployer 7.0 in windows) and deploy it in IS6.5SP2 (using IS7.0 version of Deployer in Linux)?
• Is it possible, can we create the deployer build from IS 6.1 (Using deployer 6.1) and deploy it in IS 6.1 (using IS6.1 version of Deployer in windows)?

Above all, do you suggest using deployer for the code migration activities from 6.1 to 7.0 environments? Or stick on the traditional way of deploying the packages.

Any inputs on the above are high appreciated.

Thanks,
Sathish