WM SAP IDOCS stuck in status 64

We have an issue where certain IDOCS that we send to SAP get stuck in status 64 and have to be manually processed by someone. The transaction is configured to trigger the appropriate program immediately but some still get stuck in status 64.

Looking at the SAP notes, we found an entry summarized as follows:

“The link between the external system and R/3 is asynchronous due to the tRFC attributes. However, the IDOC_INBOUND_ASYCHRONOUS fucntion module no longer separates the generation of Idocs with status 64 from their transfer to the application, starting with status 62. In this respect the function module relates differently to its predecessor INBOUND_IDOC_PROCESS”

The solutions they mention are:

1. Use INBOUND_IDOC_PROCESS
  2. Transfer smaller packages of IDOCS to SAP when using IDOC_INBOUND_ASYNCHRONOUS
  3. Modify IDOC_START_INBOUND function module.

We use ALE as the transport for all WM->SAP txns. Now I assume by default that uses the IDOC_INBOUND_ASYNCHRONOUS FM. How can we begin using the INBOUND_IDOC_PROCESS instead? DO I need to make a direct RFC call for that??

I;m wondering if anyone else has experienced this and developed a workaround… Thanks in advance…