What services are used by Cumulocity in backend to deploy the web apps and microservices

What product/components do you use and which version/fix level are you on?

Cumulocity IOT

Is your question related to the free trial, or to a production (customer) instance?

Free Trial

What are you trying to achieve? Please describe it in detail.

Hi, I just want to know how cumulocity manages the applications on the backend side which are deployed on the UI portal. Like, For the zip files that are deployed on the portal, where does Cumulocity stores those files?

Kindly refer to this document for microservice deployment in cumulocity - General aspects - Cumulocity IoT Guides

1 Like

Hi Vachaspati,

I just want to know what cumulocity uses behind the scenes to store the microservices and the web apps. There must be some service or software being used where the apps are running. It could be any container services, or any VMs hosted, just want to know what Cumulocity is using behind the scenes.

Regards,
Samanyu

Hi Samanyu,

what is the purpose of your question? What do you want to achieve by understanding this?
The link Vachas posted contains actually the answer to your question:

Kubernetes is the container orchestration engine for automating deployment, scaling and management of containerized applications. A Pod is the basic building block of Kubernetes and it represents a running process on your cluster. A Pod encapsulates an application container, storage resources, a unique network IP and options that govern how the container should run.

So there are running as pods in kubernetes for microservices.
For web Apps check this documentation: Developing applications - Cumulocity IoT Guides.

Hi Stefan,

I just wanted to know where microservices and web apps are being hosted on the cumulocity backend side. So, after understanding the documentation thoroughly and reading your comment, I understood that the microservices that we deploy on cumulocity are hosted on Kubernetes from the backend.

I also read the documentation that you pointed out for web apps but I couldn’t able to find any information regarding where web apps are actually being deployed in the backend of cumulocity.
So if you could provide some information regarding this, it would be great.

Best Regards,
Samanyu

Hi Samanyu,

web apps are more like static files which are provided by any basic web server. So there is no special runtime or anything. Everything else around it like application management, permission management is self-implemented as part of the Cumulocity IoT platform.

1 Like

Hi Stefan,

Can you confirm this,
Cumulocity uses docker containers to deploy the microservices and web apps, and these docker containers are then deployed to Kubernetes where they are managed by the Kubernetes community.

Regards,
Samanyu

Hi Samanyu,

no, microservices and web apps are totally different things. Also the containers / microservices are not directly deployed to kubernetes but to the cumulocity backend which manages a kubernetes instances. Kubernetes is not directly exposed in any way currently.

Also there is no kubernetes community managing cumulocity microservices :wink:

Hi Stefan,
I am getting confused. What I understood about microservices is that in the cumulocity backend microservices, images are stored in a docker container and then they are deployed to Kubernetes instances but are managed by the Cumulocity backend. Let me know if I am right about this and do correct me if I am wrong.

Now I want to know the same thing about web apps too. So we deploy the web apps on the cumulocity then where are these web apps stored in the cumulocity backend? How is it managed?
I hope you got my question.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Samanyu,

no, not exactly. Microservices are docker images that are deployed at and managed by Kubernetes. Cumulocity leverages that and wraps APIs around it.
The web apps archives are stored in the database of Cumulocity IoT. The logic around the web apps is self implemented and part of the Cumulocity Core.

Regards
Stefan

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for clearing it out.

Best Regards,
Samanyu

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.