What is DB2 Adapter What is JDBC Adapter

I am using VB,ASP web based application. I want to insert DB2 tables from my VB application by using Web Methods and I need confirmations back to my VB application that I have inserted successfully.

How do I connect to DB2 and get confirmation back from that transaction.??? DB2 Adapter ??? JDBC Adapter ??? TCP/IP connection ???

Saurabh,

You may have to use the ActiveX/COM API that talks to the Broker. You can use the API to talk to your VB Application. Publishing an event which can be consumed by the DB2/JDBC Adapter for transactional phase. This adapter should have a trigger to publish an event to the BROKER which should be consumed by the Broker Client to send the details to the VB/ASP application using the ActiveX/COM API.

HTH
MKR

Thanks for reply. As I understand correctly, you mean Broker is on windows and it calls VB application through AactiveX/COM API of webMethods and publish an event which is going to call DB2/JDBC Adapter for transaction phase. Now here what do I need on Mainfrmae side ??? I have just DB2 Stored Procedure or CICS transaction which gives me result back.

Is error handling done by my DB2 Stored Procedure or JDBC/DB2 Adapter handles that??? please reply if you could.

Saurabh,

There are three different things here…

1. Having a webMethods ActiveX/COM API based application that talks to your application as well as subscribe to the wM Broker.

2. Having DB2/JDBC adapter that can “talk” to DB2 database for transaction processes.
    2a)webMethods Mainframe Server that talks to Mainframe otherwise.

3. Having “Integrations” in the wM Integration Server that talks to the items mentioned in 2a/b

Your App A -> sends an event to Broker using Step 1 ->
Step 3 consumes the event and send it to Step 2a/2b. ->
Step 2a/2b modifies and sends the response back to Step 3 ->
Step 3 sends documents to Broker
Step 1 consumes the response events to send to VB app.

This is one way of doing it.

You need to be well acquainted with the Broker/API/Adapter stuff which is available and well documented .

Error handling mechanisms are to be customized. There is basic EH mechanism available, for what I could decipher. Robust EH needs to be done by you, depending on your needs

HTH
MKR

MKR,

You have mentioned about 2b into your reply but I don’t see anywhere, Could you please tell me what is 2b?

Saurabh,

Can you provide a little more information about why you need to use webMethods to insert into DB2 tables from your VB app? I assume this is a technology or business constraint being imposed upon you for some reason as there are more straightforward ways to do this from VB.

Is the requirement to use webMethods Enterprise (also known as Broker or the EAI product) or to use webMethods B2B (aka Integration Server)? What version is your company or client using?

The good news is that you can definitely do what you need to do, but the best approach depends greatly on the rationale behind the requirement to use webMethods and the version of the webMethods product that is in use.

Regards,

Mark

1 ). In current application we are sending data to DB2 by calling SP in VB/COM and using Neon Shadow Direct as a gateway to send data. Neon is very expansive way of doing that and It involves lots of Custom Code into VB to build recordset and send to Neon and converts into ADO Recordset when we get back from DB2 Stored Procedure.

2 ). We need to write lots of custom code for Error handling with neon, As we don’t have any control over Neon, we need to handle each and every errors into VB , which we don’t want to do that. So We were looking for a product which gives us a gateway to DB2 and also we need to write less code with less resources, webMethods has very cool tools to do that.

1. Last is we need guarantee delivery of all our messages send to DB2.

4 ) we need webMethods wrkflow piece for another applications.

So after reviewing MQ Series, MQSI this third products looks good to us. All in One not like separate pieces of IBM , What do you think?

Does anyone have the experience of using IS on a UNIX platform and make it talk to either MSMQ or VB application on NT? The constraint here is IS not running on NT.

Appreciate any insight.

Your requirement for guaranteed delivery will probably lead you to webMethods Enteprise rather than webMethods Integration Server (B2B). (Note: you can still turn webMethods Enterprise integrations into web services easily using webMethods Integration Server should that become a requirement in the future)

Your VB app could use the ActiveX/COM API to publish a message or “document” to the webMethods broker. I believe an sample application is included in either the docs or samples folder or you can study the docs for the ActiveX/COM API docs.

An integration would subscribe to that document, perform the DB2 insert or update and publish a reply upon completion that would be received by your VB app. The VB app could either publish and wait (synchronous) or publish the initial notification and periodically check for the reply if your DB2 transaction was long running.

You would write additional logic in the integration to handle updating a second data source such as SQL Server or providing two-phase committ functionality, if required. You will need the appropriate database or JDBC adapters to connect webMethods Enterprise to DB2 and SQL Server.

Having your VB-app publish documents to a webMethods Enteprise broker running on UNIX is fully supported. The documents are sent to a well-known port (usually 6849) on the broker server.

Nancy’s post mentioned MSMQ as well. It would also be possible to use the webMethods MSMQ adapter to trigger the integration doing the DB2 and SQL Server work based on the arrival of a message on an MSMQ queue. I would not do this if you were not already using MSMQ (too many moving parts), but it should be possible.

Regards,

Mark

I am new to webMethods and am evaluating databases for supporting an upcoming project that will implement webMethods. I have read that SQL Server and Oracle are supported for the integration server. What about other databases, such as DB2. What does this limitation (to SQL Server and Oracle) refer to?

The following databases are supported in webMethods 6.1:

Integration Server:
Oracle 8.1.7 and 9.2 ( on any platform)
SQL Server 2000 ( on Windows…of course)
DB2 UDB 8.1 ( on Solaris and Windows)
DB2 UDB for AS/400 ( on AS/400 V5R2)

Modeler Repository:
Oracle 8.1.7 and 9.2 ( on Windows and UNIX )
SQL Server 2000 ( on Windows)
DB2 UDB 8.1 ( on Windows and UNIX)

Trading Networks Server:
SQL Server 2000 ( the doc says on “Any” but I think it should
say “Windows”)
Sybase 12.5 ( on Solaris)
DB2 UDB 8.1 ( on AIX or Solaris)

Workflow Server:
SQL Server 2000 ( on Windows)
DB2 UDB 8.1 ( on Windows, Solaris 9, and AIX 5.1)

The above information was taken from the webMethods version 6.1 installation guide.

Wayne