What is committed memory in the IS statistic page?

Hi,

I’ve set the server memory config in setenv.sh as follows

JAVA_MIN_MEM=1024M
JAVA_MAX_MEM=2048M

After the server start I found 2048 at Maximum memory and 1024 at committed memory.

But the committed memory is keeps on changing and sometimes its reaching the maximum level.

In one of our boxes, the committed memory is keep on increasing until the maximum memory, then we are getting OutOfMeMory error.

Can you anybody give more informatin about this behaviour?
Also how to make free the memory with out restarting the IS.

Thanks
Kesa

Min memory is used for executing GC by JVM. JVM doesn’t run GC unless it’s really necessary. It increases till the min memory is reached, and then it will come down. You can see the behavior in the graph as well. Its not going to hurt.

Are you getting OutofMemory error? Do you have min and max memory set to same values?

-Senthil

Thanks Senthil,

memory config in setenv.sh as follows

JAVA_MIN_MEM=1024M
JAVA_MAX_MEM=2048M

After the server start I found 2048 at Maximum memory and 1024 at committed memory.
But the committed memory is keeps on increasing from 1024 and finally it reaching the maximum level 2048. Then I am getting the OutOfMemory error. Every time I have to do the server restart to bring the server back to normal.

Do you know is there any other way clear the memory other than server restart?

After the server restart I found that the committed memory value got chagned from 1024M, though the setup.env having the entry JAVA_MIN_MEM=1024M. The value was something greater than 1024M. Somtimes its near by maximum memory. I think there is a problem in executing GC. What do you reckon about this? How can I resolve this issue?

Thanks
Kesa

You may want to do some reading on how a JVM manages its memory heap. Particularly on min and max memory and the behavior that you’ll typically see.

For the out of memory issue you’re facing, it is almost a certainty that is not due to GC not executing.

The most likely reason memory is being exhausted is due to the activities of one or more of the custom services. A big file being loaded completely into memory and processed. Something possibly in an infinite loop. Another system is flooding your IS with calls.

Review your packages and services to see what might be the cause. When you see memory going up, and before it runs out, review the IS Administrator “Service Usage” page to see what services are running. Those will be the services to investigate.

Do you have IS installed in Windows environment and installed as Service (not as Application)?

I think I guessed what is happening in your environment… Though the initial values are picked from setenv.bat file, in ur environment tanuki wrapper is configured or the values are taken from wrapper configuration files. Go to the below file and check the values of java min and max values, and change it to the values that you have set in setenv.bat file…

SoftwareAG_Installation_directory\profiles\IS\configuration\wrapper.conf

Before changing the values in this file,

1. shut down the IS
  2. unreg the webMethods service from services.msc (if wM is installed in Windows)
  3. change values in wrapper.conf
  4. re-reg the webMethods service (if wM is installed in Windows)
  5. bring back the IS again

You should now see the values being changed & not getting changed again…

-Senthil

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.