webMethods.io Integration Developer Guidelines

Being the Product Manager of, and having worked with webMethods.io Integration since its launch, I’ve developed many complex integrations internally at Software AG to automate application processes, as well as working with our customers, Professional Servcices and Partners to help them in their cloud journeys. Along the way I’ve amassed considerable knowledge as to what works well, what doesn’t, and where users and developers of the platform can find themselves at a junction, not knowing which direction to approach or which way to turn in order to reach their goal.

Today, I’d like to share with you my first attempt at creating a set of community guidelines for developers of webMethods.io Integration based on these experiences.

Where can I find the guidelines?

https://github.com/SoftwareAG/webmethods-io-integration-guidelines/

What information do they contain?

• Explanation and comparison of the different types of integration and automation in webMethods.io Integration
  • Implementation recommendations for each of the approaches
  • When and when NOT to use the different approaches
  • Do and Don’t checklists to avoid making the wrong design decisions or simple mistakes
  • Samples of integrations
  • Implementation patterns and approaches
  • API implementation and security
  • Connector creation options and guidance
  • Hybrid integration approaches

Why are the guidelines in GitHub?

• I created this based on my experience - but there are MANY others out there who are also experienced in implementing integrations in the platform, from our customers, partners and also others inside Software AG.
  • These guidelines belong to the community - they are a living community document that YOU can and should contribute to, to help and assist your fellow developers to get a faster start and avoid making the same mistakes you might have done when you were starting out!
  • Also as the product evolves further, these guidelines will need to be evolved to take into account these changes.

How can you contribute?

• Fork the git repository
  • Edit/add markdown files/images/etc.
  • Commit/push to your repo
  • When you’re ready, create a pull request back to the main repository, where your contributions will be considered and merged where appropriate for the rest of the community. All contributors will be added to the README to highlight their input!
12 Likes

Many thanks @Dave_Pemberton, an excellent guide to start with. :gift_heart:

I just love that we are able to suggest improvements and these have a good chance to become the gospel :slight_smile:
Dave I hear that one improvement made it into the guidelines already. Is that true?

Update: Link to the first merged pull request by @wayne.leishman.20059 :slight_smile:

Correct Mark - Wayne gave a thorough review and corrected many of my typos, and cleaned it up :slight_smile:
Thank you @wayne.leishman.20059.

1 Like

@Dave_Pemberton isn’t this the direct link to the guide? webmethods-io-integration-guidelines Or at least from this link you can start reading right away.

Side question. Is it possible to view the guide as a continuous document? I couldn’t figure it out.

Nosy me would like to know:

Dave you write in the guide!

webMethods.io Integration currently provides two different approaches for developing integrations

• No-code Workflow Automations
  • Low-code FlowServices Integrations

No/Low-Code are hot topics right now in conjunction with citizen developer/power user, …
When did webMethods make this categorization for the first time?

1 Like

Yes thats a direct link, but I Linked to the start as I plan to add more guides… this one is just the ‘developer’ focused one.

There’s no continuous document. I started as one, but it was too difficult to maintain, hence I broke it down.

1 Like

We offer No-code, workflow
Low -code, Flow Service
Code - connectors/custom actions

We’ve had this categorization for quite some time.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about software integration!

1 Like