webMethods 7.1 interopabilty with WCF WsHttpBinding?

Hi all,

I am doing some work current on consuming web services based on WCF (.NET 3.5) in webMethods 7.1. Microsoft have a couple of different bindings they offer. Thankfully BasicBinding works fine which is essentially WS-I Basic Profile compliant I believe.

However the next binding I need to work is the WsHTTPBinding. This as I understand is the WCF binding that provides WS-Security, WS-Addressing and a bit more such as optional reliable messaging, transactions etc. IS v7.1 generates the client fine from WSDL however executing gives SOAP-Faults.

You can turn options off in .NET so have turned off WS-Security, reliable messaging and transactions in an attempt to simplify the problem. Unfortunately I dont think we can turn off WS-Addressing.

This is the problem I think and wM support/product dev have confirmed that wM v7.1 does not support WS-Addressing 1.0 and ignores this policy n the WSDL. I am currently attempting to manually create the necessary SOAP header content (soapHeader input on the pub.client:soapClient service) based on what I can see in logging from a working .NET client but not having alot of luck currently.

So my post/questions in summary are:

1. Has anyone managed to get webMethods to consume WCF services with the WsHttpBinding and actually get it to work?
  2. Any ideas on the best way to get WS-Addressing support?
  3. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Hi all,

Thought I would write a quick update on this issue in case anyone is interested.

Basically testing interop between webMethods 7.1.1 and .NET WCF 3.5 hosted services. Answering my own questions from my last post;

1. Has anyone managed to get webMethods to consume WCF services with the WsHttpBinding and actually get it to work?

No as it wont work. wM 7.1. doesnt support WS-Addressing

1. Any ideas on the best way to get WS-Addressing support?

It seems we need to wait on the v8.0 release to see this.

1. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

We found we can create custom WCF bindings that allowed us to remove WS-Address but include soap 1.2, WS-Security and other features. We created a custom binding but uncovered some interesting interop issues with basic SOAP 1.2 and HTTP.

We created a custom binding which allowed us to do Soap 1.2 + HTTP only as a starting point. This didnt work due to a SOAP 1.2 interop issue which I have escalated. Basically Microsoft expect SOAP 1.2 services not using WS-Adddressing to use the action parameter of the HTTP Content-type header (a optional SOAP 1.2 thing). webMethods wasnt setting this and was still sending the soap 1.1 SOAPAction HTTP header which was incorrect in my view. Have worked with webMethods support and have tested a proposed PD fix that resolves the issue, this will hopefully get released officially before too long.

Going to start testing the WS-Security support between 7.1 and .NET next…

Rgds,

Matt

What is the exact proposed PD fix name which you got from the support?? Just curious…

TIA,
RMG

Hi,

It was a PD proposed fix and does not have a name other than debugFix080805.zip. I will post once I get advised if and when it is released officially.

Matt