Webmethods 6.0.2 and SP2 installation

We are looking into applying the SP2 for the Integration Server.
The SP2 places a lock file which will not be deleted in case the server is not able to shut down completely. Is there any way to disable the feature after the SP2 has been applied?

Are you taking about the LOCKFILE that is created in the webMethods directory when the Integration Server is running? This lockfile does not have anything to do with SP2 necessarily, but is created by the Integration Server Startup to prevent more than one instance of the IS from being started from a particular install. Running multiple Integration Servers from one install location could have major ramifications on data integrity. Disabling or removing this lockfile is not recommended for just this reason.

Yes I am talking about the LOCKFILE that is created in the webMethods/Integration Server

The LOCKFILE is added with SP2 to prevent more than one server from being run in the same directory.

Add a line to the server.bat/server.sh before the check for LOCKFILE:

del LOCKFILE

It is only there to allow for nice errors when you launch two instances of IS from the same installation at the same time. If you don’t have LOCKFILE and you launch two instances, you will get a socket create error and the second IS will exit immediately.

Is a solution available when the server is being run as a windows service? In this situation the server process (ISNTSvc.exe) does not appear to execute the server.bat file, so I cannot find a way of disabling the lockfile functionality.

Our very simple problem is:

• We run IS as a windows service
  • If we reboot the box, IS will not start again when the server is back (!)

IS does not appear to be executing its normal shutdown procedure if the box is rebooted, and so it does not delete the lockfile.

Are we missing something…? How do we ensure that IS restarts after a reboot?

Hi Clayton,

One way to achieve what you are after is to add a batch script which deletes the LOCKFILE to your Windows startup services.

Here’s how to do that in Windows XP - I assume it would be similar in Windows 2000 (you might need to Google to find the equivalent command).

Goto Start menu, run, enter gpedit.msc. In the left pane, under Computer Configuration, select Windows Settings | Scripts, Double click on Startup, select Add, then browse to your batch file. When the machine starts up, windows will execute that file.

Note that in Windows this is slightly different from adding it to the “Startup” menu, as that is a user-level startup option which executes when someone logs on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve Ovens
webMethods Professional Services
Melbourne, Australia

Well you can do a somewhat complicated step. If you go to the service, There is a “Recovery” tab. On that tab, you can choose what to happen if the service fails. Choose the “Run a program” choice for the first failure. That program will be a batch file you make to check for the lockfile and delete if necessary, like this:

if exist “lockfile” del “lockfile”

please include that absolute path to the lock file as necessary. You will also have a line that runs the ISNTSVC or start.exe file (whichever brings up the server) as the next line in the batch file:

“start.exe”

please include that absolute path to the program executable as necessary. I am not sure if you can use the other failure tabs in succession after the first failure. If you could then I would put the second failure to “Restart service” and not have the second line in the batch program do anything. Instead it will be only one line to delete lock file.

Good Luck.