WAIT timeout in OpenConversation()

I have an application written in C# 2 using Broker 7.2.1.50

I have a function that makes several Broker Calls and begins like this:

try
{
   conn_init();
   //signals the wrapped functions not to connect on there own.
   connected = true;
   service.OpenConversation(); //so that we can run multiple commands with one service
}
catch ( SoftwareAG.EntireX.NETWrapper.Runtime.XException xe )
{                
     Utilities.logEntry(xe, true);  
     throw new FAStorage.EntireX.WrapperException(xe);
}   

/* conn_init(); is a custom function to create the broker/service objects and looks like this. */
private void conn_init()
{
    broker = create_broker();
    service = create_service(broker);
    return;
}

I’m getting log output like this:

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	FAServerLogSource
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	0
Date:		11/1/2010
Time:		8:19:26 AM
User:		N/A
Computer:	DORCSSAPP01
Description:
SoftwareAG.EntireX.NETWrapper.Runtime.XException: 00740074: WAIT timeout occurred.

Stack Trace: 
   at SoftwareAG.EntireX.NETWrapper.Runtime.Service.OpenConversation()
   at FAServer.EntireXDotNetClasses.EntireXWrapper.getData(String tableId, String caseId, String partyCode, String memberId, String maxChild, String osFips, String formNo, String formType, String formDesc)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

It looks like the “WAIT timeout” is coming from “service.OpenConversation()” but I’m unsure how to fix it.

Thanks for any help,
Raystorm

Hi Raystorm,

I hope this is “any help”.

00740074 is not necessarily an error. It just indicates that the time you have assigned to the WAIT parameter in Broker Control Block has expired.

If you have no idea how you have came in this situation, I suggest you run a Broker trace either in EXBstub (used by your program) or in Broker itself.

So it just means “openConversation” took too long. I could catch() and just try again…

I’m still fuzzy on how broker works. The whole thing is like a weird black box to me. I don’t have access to the actual “Broker Server”.

So what is EXBstub, is it available in .NET and how do I use it?

Thanks again,
Raystorm

http://techcommunity.softwareag.com/ecosystem/documentation/webmethods/wmsuite8_ga/EntireX/adminWin/tracing.htm - look for the .Net Wrapper links.

You may need to go to http://empower.softwareag.com to find older documentation (v7.2.1 is long out of support), but it requires an authorized Empower login.

Under the covers, your .Net application ends up calling a DLL that is known as the broker stub - it is the proxy that communicates with the EntireX Broker.

Do you know if you are using ACI or RPC calls? Do you know if the server you are trying to connect to with the “OpenConversation” is operating correctly? One cause of 00740074 errors for client applications is the server taking longer than your WAIT time to respond - it may still be processing (unlikely for an OpenConversation call) or it may have failed and is no longer responding.

The Server is operating Correctly, I had forgotten that around the time of the error in my Error Log we where having network congestion issues. (That’s probably what happenned. Turns out the “client” needed to be restarted.)

Anyways, I’m using RPC calls. The Broker server is operating correctly.

Thanks again,
Raystorm