Version manager does not import correctly

(using 4.6 Broker)

Last weekend we used the version manager to import our software (in production), and we found that although no errors were reported not everything was imported correctly. When we re-did the import for that .adl only, and when we re-checked all was fine.

As you might understand this way of working, and not knowing if an import went ok or not, gives us a ‘bad vibe’ (understatement). Does anyone know a solution for this ?

I also tried the command-line version earlier, but this sometimes gives memory errors when you try to import multiple .adl files (say 80 or more). We have now created a script to do them one by one … but I’m not sure if this is the right thing to do. If anyone knows a way to avoid those memory errors, I would be helped as well.

We did also have these problems earlier when setting up the test environment, and a Peoplesoft consultant on site advised us to close any open Enterprise Integrator sessions. But the experience of last weekend shows that this did not do the trick.

Any comments would be most appreciated,

Cheers,

Raymond

Unfortunately, there isn’t a good method to do version tracking in Enterprise. So I always made a practice to check the code after an import. You don’t have to check every inch, but just enough to get the idea that it’s the latest. You could define a step that has version information in it or if you have custom steps, check your comments.

How big is the file size you are trying to import? I have seen memory errors many times using EI or the command line when using bigger files. Splitting into multiple adl files is a good idea.

I agree that closing any EI sessions is a very good idea. You don’t want to take up any more memory than necessary. Also, open sessions in EI could affect why you might not see the latest version of what you thought you imported.

Good luck,
Cort

Hi Cort,

I believe Raymond is referring to JD Edwards’s (now PeopleSoft) Version Manager tool to import webMethods Enterprise components (i.e. documents, integration components, etc…) from ADL files into the webMethods Broker.
This tool comes with JD Edwards XPI (which is really webMethods).

Raymond: we have used this tool and it seemed to work fine. You should check with PeopleSoft support to make sure you have the latest patches.
If you run from the command line you should be able to increase the maximum memory allocated (check the documentation).

By the way, the problems you describe after importing ADL files into the Broker are not uncommon. Here’s a thread at wmusers that may help:
[url=“wmusers.com”]wmusers.com
You might want to try and get the Broker Build All tool from webMethods. The following FAQ in the webMethods Advantage Knowledge Base talks about this tool and how you can get it:
[url=“http://advantage.webmethods.com/cgi-bin/advantage/main.jsp?w=0&targChanId=-536880653&faqId=1610635113”]http://advantage.webmethods.com/cgi-bin/advantage/main.jsp?w=0&targChanId=-536880653&faqId=1610635113[/url]

If you can’t get the tool, follow Dan’s workaround.

I agree with the comment about closing Enterprise Integrator before using Version Manager. In fact, close all webMethods Pre-version 6 tools (eg. Adapter Manager, Enterprise Manager, etc…).

Crossing your fingers also helps

Good luck!

Wayne

Cortney and Wayne thank you kindly for your insights

@Cortney

Our largest Adl files are 1.3 megs I don’t consider that large, or are they ?

If I would always do the production imports I would consider checking the code myself always, but since we have other offices managing that this is not an option. I would think that once the software is tested, you should never need to open the Enterprise Integrator.

And the last import into production proved us that not having the EI open does not guerantee a good promotion. No errors in Verion manager, but still ‘old’ code.

I’ve been browsing on the webMethods site today and found a lot of Service packs releted to 4.6 stuff. Since I use the JDE/Peoplesoft version is that compatible ??

@Wayne

I checked the documentation about the memory sizing but couldn’t find anything. Should I be increasing the Global Java memory allocation limit ?

I will log an issue @ Peoplesoft on this, I’ve found from using other tools it is worthwhile using this kind of forums. Support organisations are not always that quick .

The broker build all tool seems to be related to webMethods 5.0 is that compatible with JDE XPI 4.6 or do I need to upgrade ?

What is so special about version 6 … will all my problems go away (in other words are you telling me to upgrade ???)

Thanks for the advice so far, I appreciate it, I’m still very new to XPI and need to learn a lot fast.

Cheers,

Raymond

webMethods 6 is a whole different product uses the Integration Server. You can run old ES integrations in a “mixed-mode environment”, but to use native 6.x integrations, you need to convert the code. webMethods has a tool to assist with this conversion. Peoplesoft has not yet released their 6.x/Integration Server based adapter for OneWorld (EnterpriseOne). I hear it is in beta and it will be available within a month or so. The XBP’s may not be available when the adapter is.

For us at J&J, it’s often impratical to manually check whether a deployment succeeded. There is a segregation of duties between the developers who request a deployment and administrators who do the deployment and can look at the code.

It would be great if webMethods itself could maintin versions of each of its objects – a version number or a date/time stamp, and allow for reporting to indicate what versions of each object was deployed, and what changed.

One thing that makes version control difficult is the way webMethods (at least v5) puts multiple objects together in a file. We could track the file in a source code control system, but really what we want to do is track the changes made by object. From a deployment standpoint, it’s convenient to work with a single file that has all needed objects. It would be good if there could be integrated source code control within webMethods, so that as developers make changes/create objects, each change is tracked. When desired, we could generate a package of changes to be deployed.

Roger, I must have been wrong about the memory parm for the Version Manager. I now recall there is another executable called version_manager_nogui.
You can find information on this in the document “JD Edwards XPI Development Methodology”.
If you run the executable without any parms it will show you the required parms, however the document explains the parms.

According to the Advantage web site, the broker_buildall tool applies to the following products: Enterprise Server 5.0 and 5.0.1. (probably 6+ too). Not sure if it will work with pre-version 5 brokers (check with webMethods support).

Michael: regarding your comment “It would be good if there could be integrated source code control within webMethods, so that as developers make changes/create objects, each change is tracked.” This is one of the biggest issues that people have with webMethods. I do know that webMethods is working on integrating source control with the product. I’m not sure what release this will be in.

Regards,

Wayne