Version Control System in webmethods

In the webMethods documentation it is mentioned that we can use Microsoft Visual source safe and IBM Rational ClearCase as VCS repository. But our project only provides tortoise SVN as the versioning tool. Any idea how tortoise SVN can be integrated with webMethods for versioning?

TortoiseSVN is a client application for Subversion. wM IS 8.x supports using Subversion as the repository.

Be aware that the versioning facilities provided with the built-in VCS Integration Feature is limited in many, many ways. In my opinion, the limitations make the feature not worth using.

We’ve tried the integration feature provided by SAG for subversion and I habe to agree with Rob. If several users are sharing one IS it even get’s the user mixed up.
If you are having your development IS on a local windows PC, you can use Toirtoise (or any other subversion client) on the package directories. But when using webMethods Deployer you need to make sure you remove all the .svn directories created by subversion on your source server, as Deployer can’t handle them.

Cheers

Martin

I have not personally tried it at an Enterprise level but another option to consider here is CVS. Connect to an existing CVS repository from Designer and then do check-in check-out operations.

Cheers,
Akshith

Since I stated that the VCS Integration Feature is more or less unusable, I thought I should offer alternatives for consideration.

Option 1:

Use any VCS and develop procedures for developers and release managers to follow.

Manage versions at the package level, not the service level. Versioning at the service level is somwhat akin to managing a Java class at the method level.

Have just one person at a time modifying a package.If many people need to make changes to a single package at the same time it may be an indicator that the package scope is too broad.

When deploying always deploy from the VCS, never from another IS.

Keep a change log for every package. Either as a log in the VCS or in a text file in the package direcotries. Or both.

Never deploy adapter connections.

Avoid branching and merging whenever possible. Since this approach really has no tools to help with these tasks, and thus would need to be done manually (mostly), these actions should be avoided.

The key to this approach is that everyone follows the processes. It isn’t as nice as having a tool that we’re all familiar with for Java development but it is workable and doesn’t lead to erroneous assumptions about VCS capability.

Option 2:

Use a tool like CrossVista TEAM ALM Server (I am not affiliated with this company or product). I won’t repeat the marketing literature here. Those that are interested can review their web site. It provides many of the VCS features that one expects the VCS integration feature from SAG would provide but doesn’t. Alas, my only exposure to this tool is a brief evaluation. It works as advertised. Perhaps others who have used the tool for real work can chime in.

Yes CVS is another better option but not a easier tool to manage no UI and scripting wise:

Nice.

An additional step to the above process is to version the IS package every time there is a change in the package and then check-in with the a version label in the repository with same number as the package version number. In that way you will have a correlationID between the code in the repository and the one in the IS. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Akshith

Yes, absolutely. I missed that step. Updating the package version number is key to being able to determine what is deployed where.

Well that make sense and good point…

Cool, This is a very informative discussion!

Rama, As for the CVS yes it is not as user friendly as subversion but it will get the work done with some complexity.

Cheers,
Akshith

deleted and created a new thread.

Any break through on configuring tortoise SVN with IS? If so, please detail the steps of configuration.
I encounter this error when trying to provide svn url:
wm.server.svn.svnservices:configureSVN wm.server.svn.svnservices:configureSVN
Caused by: com.webMethods.vcs.VCSException:
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program “svn”: CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
I couldnt either find svn program in the install packages. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chitra

Review the installation documentation again. You may have missed something.

It is not “Tortoise SVN.” Tortoise is one of many clients for svn. IS is connecting to svn, and Tortoise is not involved in any way.

Login to the IS directory through command prompt and execute the command ‘svn’. It is not configured hence the exception says <Cannot run program “svn”>. If it is configured, u will see some response for this command…

-Senthil

I got an error while trying to configure the “Subversion Repository Location” ----> Error in subversion configuration and here is the error stack trace :[TABLE=“width: 0”]
[TR]
[TD]java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at java.util.ArrayList.RangeCheck(ArrayList.java:547)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:322)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.webMethods.vcs.VCSManager.getClient(VCSManager.java:180)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at wm.server.svn.svnservices.configureSVN(svnservices.java:56)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor327.invoke(Unknown Source)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.JavaService.baseInvoke(JavaService.java:439)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.InvokeManager.process(InvokeManager.java:635)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.util.tspace.ReservationProcessor.process(ReservationProcessor.java:46)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.StatisticsProcessor.process(StatisticsProcessor.java:44)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.ServiceCompletionImpl.process(ServiceCompletionImpl.java:238)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.ValidateProcessor.process(ValidateProcessor.java:51)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.PipelineProcessor.process(PipelineProcessor.java:171)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.ACLManager.process(ACLManager.java:272)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.DispatchProcessor.process(DispatchProcessor.java:30)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.AuditLogManager.process(AuditLogManager.java:399)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.InvokeManager.invoke(InvokeManager.java:539)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.InvokeManager.invoke(InvokeManager.java:384)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.ServiceManager.invoke(ServiceManager.java:234)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.ServiceManager.invoke(ServiceManager.java:109)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.app.b2b.server.ns.Namespace.invoke(Namespace.java:560)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.util.template.Reporter.invoke(Reporter.java:964)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.util.template.InvokeToken.eval(InvokeToken.java:75)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.util.template.TemplateToken.evalChild(TemplateToken.java:234)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.util.template.IfVarToken.evalChild(IfVarToken.java:263)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]at com.wm.util.template.T…

Any idea please ? how to be resolved from this error ?[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

hi,
we have recently implemented SVN with webMethods 8.2 and it is working great.

Can You send me the document , if you have any related document to implement SVN in webMethods 8.2.

Because i am trying to implement SVN for my server. But I am getting some error in implementation.
Thanks in advance.:slight_smile:

Hi, I am currently trying to set up SVN for IS 8.2 and it is partially working. I run into issue when I tried to create a new flow service from the developer. I am getting the following error:

Could not create ‘upgradetest.ServiceTest:Untitled_1’.
com.wm.app.b2b.server.ServiceException: [ISS.0132.9117] error running command [svn, lock, --username, benny, --password, ********]; exit value: 1; output: [svn: E155010: The node ‘/home/benny/webMethods/8_2/IntegrationServer/packages/UpgradeTest/ns/upgradetest/ServiceTest/Untitled_1/node.ndf’ was not found.]

Do you have this issue ? If not, can you share your success with me like any kind of installation process or procedures from your implementation documentation ? It would be helpful to me for trouble-shooting my issue. I could have missed something.

Thank you very much for your time… Ben

Hi,

We are in process of implementing SVN with webMethods 8.2. can you send me document about how to implement SVN in webMethods 8.2

Hi,

There is a “readme.txt” file that came with webMethods 8.2 “WmSubversion” package. You can locate this file in your IS installation folder of the SVN VCS support package → {your IS installation root folder}/IntegrationServer/packages/WmSubversion

I was following the instructions and got it it to work with my POC IS. However, it didn’t work as I would expect. I ran into issue when I tried to create a new flow service. It seems to work fine in creating version to any existing flow services. For now, I have suspended the POC effort since it didn’t work as expected.

Please share if you are able to get it to work in versioning new flow service.

Thanks…
Ben.