Version control in IS

Hello

How is the version management handled in IS.

example:
case1:Package level
When 3 version of packages are deployed to IS say (v1.0,v2.0,v3.0)
Now if required to have current version as v1.0 --how is this done

case2:Service level
When 3 patchs of a service in a package are deployed to IS say (v1.1,v1.2,v1.3)
Now if required to have current version as v1.1 --how is this done

What I need is in other version controls tools the current version can be set with a click of a mouse, is this possible in IS.

Thanks
Vinod

Hi,

IS 6.5 SP1 contains support for the Version Control System (VCS) Integration feature, which enables Integration Server and Developer to interact with a third-party source control system. For this release, Microsoft Visual SourceSafe is supported.
Refer [URL=“https://advantage.webmethods.com/docid536945490”]https://advantage.webmethods.com/docid536945490[/URL]

Let me know if my answer is not clear?

Thanks
Puneet Saxena

hi

How is the version control in IS without using external VCS is done at package and service level.

At package level the particular zip file is selected from inbound folder,
at is it same way for service patches ?

Thanks
Vinod

At package level the particular zip file is selected from inbound folder,
at is it same way for service patches ? – Yes,install same from the replicate/inbound folder

HTH,
RMG

I am not quite sure what does “wM enables Integration Server and Developer to interact with a third-party source control system such as VSS” mean. Does it mean that you can right click the mouse to check-in in IS?

What you really need is the ability to do version control and change/config/release management across your entire lifecycle… perform automated comparisons to identify unseen changes… and selectively rollback to earlier versions… not just check code in and out at development time. Would advise you check out CrossVista TEAM Server and CrossVista TEAM Synchronizer for webMethods.

Alideo Inc is the exclusively reseller of CrossVista products in North America so you can find more information on the Alideo website (http://www.alideo.com).

In full disclosure, I work for Alideo… but thought it was relevant to the thread.

Thanks.

-Dan

Thanks Dan,

It is a nice entire solution. How much is the cost?

Hi Allen,

Please ignore my private InMail message and contact me directly for pricing. I am the appropriate contact as long as your company’s corporate headquarters is based in North America.

Thanks,
Dan

dschirf@alideo.com

You can also try the following site which shows you how to use SVN to version control your packages on the IS
http://www.customware.net/repository/display/WMFAQ/Fine+Grained+Version+Control+using+a+Build+Server

There should also be a webMethods package there for you to download and test it out.

Also to disclose, I work at CustomWare.

Regards,

Aditya Gollakota

Agreed… think there are a couple shareware packages out there that can export packages, collect them, and store them in a Version Control tool. The challenge is that:

• Most only support IS package code.

CrossVista TEAM supports Integration Server code and configuration information… as well as Trading Networks and related config, Broker and related config, Process Models and related config, Optimize and related config, and any related database information. This way you can secure all necessary information related to your webMethods projects and version them as one logical group.

• Most provide no visibility into what has changed. For example, a package might be labeled with version 2.1 but the code inside that package may have changed… or an adapter configuration may have been changed to support that package… or a configuration change may have been made in Trading Networks or a Process Model to support a change to the package code.

CrossVista TEAM can tell you who, what, where, and when a code or configuration was changed… even looking inside your java based IS services. It can compare current releases to those that have been deployed and ensure that your systems have the correct code and configuration deployed. For example, in one real world customer scenario, an administrator had tweaked a database adapter setting to increase the number of threads and the thread timeout thinking it would be more efficient. Unfortunately, the threads piled up on top of each other and it caused performance issues. They were having a very difficult time isolating the problem. Using TEAM, they compared the deployed code/configuration on that production environment to a previously saved TEAM Release, found the differences in minutes, and used TEAM to synchronize the environments.

There are more differences but these are just a couple that come to mind. You can find more on our website… http://www.alideo.com.

Thanks,
Dan

dschirf@alideo.com

Hi Aditya,

Thanks for the link.
I don’t fully understand how to use this package to control versions.

I have installed the WmSubversion package downloaded from Advantage, and configured it working with WmVCS package. Now, I have “VCS” commands in my Developer’s menu, but they don’t work properly as expected. It may be the problem with my SVN configuration.

Ture. Even the official wM VCS package only supports IS element, plus a lot of exceptions. As an entire solution, TEAM is very promising.

Hi Allen,

The package works in such a way:

1. copy your packages that you want to version control to another folder (do this by copying the packages/ from your IS home)
  2. run an SVN import using the command line svn on your packages
  3. then modify the configuration file inside the VesionControl package by adding your svn URL path, user name, pwd, Project Name (this can be anything), packages in the project
  4. Then inside Developer, delete the packages that you have copied before
  5. Run the svn checkout and you should have all your packages again
  6. Once you modify the code, you can then run the SVN commit/update and it’ll write your changes to the repo.

I haven’t used WmSubversion yet or WmVCS, so can’t help you out with that problem.

Regards,
Aditya

Originally Posted by puneetsaxena
Hi,

[I]IS 6.5 SP1 contains support for the Version Control System (VCS) Integration feature, which enables Integration Server and Developer to interact with a third-party source control system. For this release, Microsoft Visual SourceSafe is supported.
Refer [URL=“https://advantage.webmethods.com/docid536945490”]https://advantage.webmethods.com/docid536945490[/URL][/i]

Let me know if my answer is not clear?

Thanks
Puneet Saxena,

As mentioned, we can right click and check in the package in VSS or Clearcase in WM 7.1 environment.

Hello all,

Just wanted to chime in on the thread with a few differences between CrossVista TEAM and the out of box webMethods VCS integration… Per the “webMethods Version Control System Integration Developer’s Guide Version 7.1.1”…

“The VCS Integration feature is intended for the control of webMethods packages and their contents in development environments only”

In other words, it is not intended to support managing versioning across the lifecycle to other environments (QA, UAT, Production, etc)… it also offers no support for Trading Networks, Broker, Process Models, Optimize, external files, external databases, etc… CrossVista TEAM supports all of the above and will be adding support for Centrasite this month.

The guide also explicitly states that the VCS integration does not support:

*The ability to ʺdiffʺ or merge files - Which means you never know exactly what code is different between versions or can easily make corrections. CrossVista TEAM does.

• The ability to move checked out elements loaded from an earlier VCS version. - Frankly, not sure what this means.

• Static viewing of previous versions. - It means you can’t see the previous versions unless you load them onto a system. CrossVista TEAM allows you to see all the differences between a system sitting on a physical environment and the one you’ve saved off as a version… right down to a comment in a java source file, a field change within a TN Trading Partner Agreement, or a change in user permissions.

• VCS integration of files outside the package namespace structure (that is, components that do not appear in the Navigation panel of Developer, or that exist outside the
    …\packages\ns or the …\packages\code\source directories). - CrossVista TEAM can include any binary file or database schema as part of a Release… as well as all other webMethods products.

• VCS integration of backup files generated by Developer or Integration Server. - CrossVista TEAM can be used to manage all backup files across all products in the webMethods platform… as well as perform rollbacks.

To be clear, I’m not knocking the out-of-box VCS integration. It gets the job done for smaller projects. For your large critical projects, you should take a closer at CrossVista TEAM.

Full disclosure… Alideo Inc is the exclusive reseller of CrossVista TEAM in North America.

Thanks,
Dan
dschirf@alideo.com

Hi Vinod,

There is a new versioning software on the block called crossvista team. (www.crossvista.com). It is pretty neat as it integrates with free open source VCS like SubVersion and provides

1. Version Control
  2. Change Management
  3. Configuration Management
  4. Release Management

all in one pack. Its worth taking a look. Let me know if you need more details on CrossVista.

Does anybody have experience on WmSourceSafe in wm 8.0?

I am doing some R&D on this package in order to set up a version control structure in wm developing environment. Subversion is one of the tools I am trying.

What I saw from the previous posting by the user group was:

1. the size of the files in repository is big which affects the performance
  2. copy-n-merge approach of subversion is not really working well in wm flow services.

I have similar concern on No.2. in wm Developer, I could not lock the service for change entirely. what subversion does is to merge the changes and upgrade the revision number. Since the revision number is changed on those unchanged services. It caused the confusion. Maybe I get used to Microsoft Visual Source Safe. This subversion feature makes me wonder if subverison is really good for wm packages/services.

Any suggestions to share?

Thanks,

Based on the assesment I did at one of my customer sites, crossvista works best for version control, parallel (multi stream development), efficient code deployment and environment build outs.

I used to work in a very large program with multiple stream development being the norm. Managing multiple streams without the aid of a tool was both a productivity drag and project risk.

Note: I have no interest in the company Crossvista Inc

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.