Structure for convertovalues errors document list

I’m trying to extract meaningful detail from the “errors” documentlist output by the “convertovalues” function when executed against a FlatFile “ffdata” object. I know there’s an error, “isValid” tells me so (if I didn’t already know by putting the thing into the originating flatfile). I can’t seem to find a template or sample document anywhere that maps to the “errors” list. If I use the pictorial image shown in the “FlatFileSchemaDevGuide.pdf” documentation, as a basis to build my own document, I get nothing of use out.

Can anyone point me to some real samples which do the conversion and actually test the results of the validations I spec?

Why is this aspect of webMethods v6.1 Developer so convoluted and poorly documented?

John,

Basically if you are trying to expose the errorlist out of the convertToValues (set validate=true,maxErrors=-1,errorArray=true)then you will all see the errors in the pipeline wrapped in the errorArray.

So to extract the error data,create a document(this should have the same fields as shown in the errorList in the pipeline) and map the errorArray to doc_ErrorList(DocumentReferenceList)this will have the errors thrown by flatfile validation.

In the nextstep branch on the isValid(if false)then loop thru the doc_ErrorList and format it to a template/string and generate email report or what ever your error handling process is.

HTH,
RMG.

RMG,

Thanks for the speedy response. The problem is when you say “this should have the same fields as shown in the errorList in the pipeline”, there is no detail shown in my pipeline for the array. If I click on the (+) next to the errors documentList I get a documentList no longer displaying the (+), but nothing else. It is that structure I’m trying to build. I took what I saw in the FlatFileSchemaDevGuide.pdf and built the convoluted document of document of documentList, but can’t seem to map anything out of the original errors documentList to it or any sub-class within it.

I’ve tried so many different approaches hoping to stumble onto the correct sequence!

John,

Only if you set maxError=-1 and errorArray=true using setValue Icon then if any validation error occurs the errors documentList will show you the error details in the pipeline click on (+)Array and this will work as expected.May be you are missing this part.

HTH,
RMG.

RMG,

Because of size limitations I’m attaching three Word docs with “pictures” of my flow, showing I think, that I’ve got things the way you’re suggesting. If you wouldn;t mind reviewing and telling me where I’ve messed up…

Thanks!

Page 1…

Page 1 of Flow images in Word doc format
wmUsersForumPage1.doc (60.4 k)

Page 2…

Page 2 of Flow images in Word doc format
wmUsersForumPage2.doc (60.9 k)

Page 3…

Page 3 of Flow images in Word doc format
wmUsersForumPage3.doc (50.7 k)

John,

I looked into your screenshots.the inputs you set the convertToValues is fine and is according to my suggestions.

you will see the errors(documentList) with details populated in the Results tab pipeline(look here)only if isValid=false this will also be in the Results pipeline.and if isValid=true then errors(docList) will be empty.

The errors (docList)will be populated in the runtime and it has fields like errorPath,errorMessage etc…

So can you check this by stepping thru the flow?

HTH,
RMG.

John,

As i told above just create a temporary error document(doc_errors) to extract the errors(docList)

doc_errors(Parent)
----errorPosition
----errorMessage
----errorCode
----reference
----baddata
–childErrors(Child docList)
----errorPosition
----errorMessage
----errorCode
----reference
----baddata

Once you have this above structure document then in the convertToValues map the errors(docList) to the doc_errors_list(as DocumentReferenceList-doc_errros),doing this way will extract all the errors in the runtime and in the further down mapping loop on the “doc_errors_list” and format the details to a template or string and generate an email report.

Sorry if it didnt help.

HTH,
RMG.

HI RMG,
Here i have a question for you. Why do we need to create a different document list of the structure specified by you. As i always have been doing. I directly map the errorArray docList to another docList say Temp and all the field values get reflected in that at run time. In some cases i didn’t even created the temp doc list just copied the structure from the results tab and pasted in the pipeline and did the required mapping. (of course in that case you need to rename the previous errorArray doc List so that the only errorArray with the required structure stays in the pipeline and the other docList vanishes away after saving). Please correct me if this is not a good practice.

Regards,
Pradeep

Pradeep,

Yes we can also make with a temp doclist with necessary fields and map errorArray to temp doclist and your assumption also right ((of course in that case you need to rename the previous errorArray doc List so that the only errorArray with the required structure stays in the pipeline and the other docList vanishes away after saving).that is the reason i told create a documentReferenceList inorder not to vanish the structure from the pipeline.

HTH
RMG.