STOW = SAVE + CAT?

Hello all!

The Natural-documentation says:

This text says, that the SAVE is done before the CAT. But I would say it’s vice versa. First the CAT is done, and only if CAT was successful the SAVE is done. Who’s right and who’s wrong? Is a CHECK done first?

Backgroud of my question: I want to check my library, which compiled objects are up to date. So I compare the date of the source with the date of the catalogued file. But if the STOW-command does the SAVE after the CAT, my method comparing the date could be wrong in the worst case.

Regards,

Matthias

You can try it yourself: create a new program with contents “BLABLA” and stow it. Do you find the saved program? → No!

Save the program. Create a new line in the program. Issue a STOW command. Has the time stamp of the source changed? → No!

So the conclusion is: STOW is first CAT then SAVE, or CHECK-SAVE-CAT. in any case: The docs are wrong! :cry:

Timestamp: normally source and object code get the same time stamp (in FUSER / FILEDIR.SAG) when you stow the program. You can test it yourself (see above). You must not use the OS date of the files!

[quote="Wilfried B

Wilfried B

Hello Arthur Dent,

and thanks for your “investigations”. Let me ask you one question: Did you find that out on Linux/Unix or on Windows?

Natural 6.2 docu says:

Sounds better? :slight_smile:

Matthias wrote >
Let me ask you one question: Did you find that out on Linux/Unix or on Windows?
<

I found this on both platforms.

Arthur