Storage size of one Meassurement

Hi,

what’s the storage size of one Measurement?

Could it be that every stored Measurement produce about 200 Bytes?

Thanks,

Gerald

That’s not really possible to answer since every measurement could have a different number of fragments, series, values etc.

Also it is not only the basic value stored but a lot of meta data.

{
            "self": "https://xxx.eu-latest.cumulocity.com/measurement/measurements/118360157",
            "id": "118360157",
            "type": "Temperature",
            "source": {
                "self": "https://xxx.eu-latest.cumulocity.com/inventory/managedObjects/39118360156",
                "id": "39118360156"
            },
            "time": "2024-05-27T11:53:22.306Z",
            "Temperature": {
                "T": {
                    "unit": null,
                    "value": 25.45
                }
            }
        },

Such a very basic measurement should be around ~400 bytes. If you add multiple series/fragment values it goes up but will be more efficient in regards to storage size per measurement value as less (redundant) meta data needs to be stored.

Hi Stefan,
that’s exactly what I was looking for.

So I can only reduce the storage when I us different fragments on each series.

That’s much better…
200,Motor,Voltage,400
200,Motor,Power,3000

…than that
200,Motor_Voltage,Motor_Voltage,400
200,Motor_Power,Motor_Power,3000

But only when the Timestamp is the same?

KR,
Gerald

Hi Gerald,

no, in your example still two documents will be created in the database with different timestamps, they only share the same fragment.

If you want to use multiple fragments / series you have to use the 201 template MQTT Static templates - Cumulocity IoT documentation
And yes, only if they share the same timestamp. For different timestamps you have to create separate documents (see your example above).

For your example:

201,MotorMeasurement,,Motor,Voltage,400,,Motor,Power,3000

Please note that storage size will also differ depending on whether you use Enhanced time series support (see Enhanced time series support - Cumulocity IoT documentation)