Stopping a service that is already executing in runtime

Once a service that is trying to get a lot of data from the DB tables starts executing, it is consuming all the IS memory and is making server very slow. Is there a mechanism in Integration Server (IS) to clear a runtime service from memory while it is still executing?

Hello all, long time no talk.

I know that being able to terminate IS services/threads via wM admin was (is?) a missing option. I’m not sure if it’s been incorporated into the latest versions.

Regards,

Wayne

There is no other way than to bounce the server. Also allocation of threads and its control is not vivid in IS. Similar to looking at the broker documents in the individual queues(except for Document Tracker which tracks only when this client is connected to Broker while transaction is in process), modification and resubmission. These areas seems to need more improvement in the future versions of webMethods.

Disabling the package might help i think.

Thanks
Murali

I’ve tried lots of tricks to kill running processes within the IS and I don’t believe there is an option beyond bouncing the server.

If this is an absolute must for you, I suppose you could implement a java service that runs your service as a thread and possibly stores the process ID in the wM repository. Then you could write another service that gives you the option to kill a thread taking a process ID as input. Not sure if this would work but it sure does sound fun (insert sarcasm here).

HTH,
Fred

Wayne,

Good to see you back! I understand why some would want this feature, but can you imagine chaos this could cause if new users could go around killing threads without understanding what threads where doing what?

Still, seems like there might be a solution better than a restart for this.

Mark

One trick:

If you have Developer access to the server and the service (sA) which you want to stop has a loop where it is calling another service (sB), you can change sB so that it crashes an then the whole thing crashes. Manipulating sA in this case does nothing, it runs like it was in the beginning of the execution.