Source controlversion management

Hi all,

We run our Integration Server on a Solaris machine and we are looking for a way to version control our webMethods resources. For ease of use we decided to use VSS for SCM and the Reflection FTP Client (primarily due to these tools’ GUIs). The resources are stored in VSS on a network drive and checked out to a developer’s workstation which acts as a staging area. The Reflection FTP tool is then used to drag and drop the resources to the Solaris server where the IS can access them.

I’d like to know if anyone else has used a similar setup and, if so, what their comments about it are. Also, at what level was the label set (package, folder, etc) and is there a labeling scheme that makes better sense for the webMethods environment?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

RE Thomas Derhake’s POST
(apologies for the late response! You probably have the answer by now…)

YOUR QUESTION:
One of my biggest questions is HOW ANT performs the ‘install inbound
release’ functionality that you need to do when you do this process
manually.

ONE POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
To automate the build - you can use ANT to invoke the flows in the pub.packages folder.

RE: Tom’s post:

So far - our experience is strictly managing packages. This has worked quite well - and I believe was recommended by WM.

If you go the package route - just take some time and think about the granularity of code you want to capture in each package. Too fine grained makes it a hassle to find anything and may be detrimental to reuse - but too coarse grained makes the packages quite bloated with functionality and makes team development a real hassle.