Soap RPC Error

Hi,

I get NullPointerException error during a web service call. I tried http://:/soap/rpc through the browser and following is the return message.

[highlight=xml] <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

I tried the same call through browser in a different machine (test server), it gives me a different message as follows. This one is acceptable and understandable.

[highlight=xml] <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

[/highlight]

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Mani

Mani,

What service were you attempting to invoke using soap-rpc? What soap client were you using and how did you populate the parameters that were required by your service?

The message you are receiving is entirely correct, if you omitted a required parameter and if your invoked service did not catch the exception and exit with a friendlier message. If you wrote the service, you control the exception that gets returned to the caller.

The second message is just telling you that you need to use a soap client and not a browser to invoke a soap-based web service. I would not call that more helpful.

Mark

Thanks for your reply Mark.

These were the errors I posted just for easy understanding. I am now explaining the whole processes that lead to get this error.

I am calling a webMethods web service from remedy that has two inputs 1. Type and 2. Name

“Access Denined” error received from webMethods server_1 when I try to call the web service without any username/password. The service execute ACL is set to Anonymous access. I verified all the parameters are roperly passed and it has the right data type.

I could access the same service from a different server server_2 without username/password as the Execuate ACL is set to Anonymous in the service.

Just to crosscheck the error, I used “Soap Sonar” tool and it returned the same error. Even when I call the service from server_2 to server_1 it returns “Access Denied”.

Just to check the rpc, I typed http://server_1:5555/soap/rpc and it returned null pointer exception in the internet explorer browser.

Also, I tried creating custom soap handler which returns “null pointer” error when I call from webMethods itself.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Mani

Mani,

Thanks for the tip on CrossCheck SOAP Sonar. It looks like an interesting tool.

I took a simple Flow service, created a soap-rpc WSDL from it and loaded into Soap Sonar.

I set Soap Sonar’s authentication properties to use Basic authentication and the default IS Administrator username and password.

My service was invoked with no problem.

I then turned off SOAP Sonar authentication and retried and got the expected access denied error.

I set the Execute ACL on my service “Anonymous” and it worked once again.

How did you create the WSDL to describe your IS soap-rpc web service?

Mark

Mark,

I did the same steps as you, but unfortunately the “Anonymous” call without the username and password is not working in my server_1. Whereas, it works good in server_2.

Here is my server patch details:

Server_1 (Development)
Product webMethods Integration Server
Version 6.1
Updates IS_6-1_FP2
IS_6-1_SP1_JLP
IS_6-1_SP1_Fix41
IS_6-1_SP1
TNS_6-1_SP1
IS_6-1_SP1_SCLP

Server_2 (Test)

Product webMethods Integration Server
Version 6.1
Updates IS_6-1_FP2
IS_6-1_SP1
TNS_6-1_SP1

Let me know what do you think?

Thanks,
Mani

My tests were conducted with IS 6.5. IS 6.1 should work the same way.

Mark

you have to add “?WSDL” at the end in service call for your web service

Internet explorer or any other browser ( use FireFox!! ), does a GET command when you point to http://server_1:5555/soap/rpc

The soap/rpc expects a POST method, and for that the error.

On the other side, wM 6.1 is EOS but also it has SP2 while you are still on SP1. It might be you are hitting some already corrected issue.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]

[/font][/color]

Hi Mani,

If you haven’t found a solution for this yet, could you compare the global web.xml file of the two servers server_1 and server_2 and see if there are any differences in the section or any others.

I know this file sets the security level for the web applications deployed in IS but just a long shot, it might have an effect on web services as well.

@Mark,
Some light on this?

Regards,
Suren

The member who started this thread appears to have been attempting to type the soap/rpc URL into a browser. The service endpoint of a web service is the location to which you POST the request message, you can’t type that into a browser and expect something other than an error.

For quick testing use a tool such as Eviware SoapUI or CrossCheck SoapSonar to construct and post the message to the appropriate IS soap endpoint. SoapUI can also create a mock service that will listen for a soap request and return the mock response message that you create.

Mark

Mani Replied,

Mark,
I understood that part where you explained the service endpoint can’t be invoked from a browser. But when you said you did the follwoing steps and Mani replied saying he too tried the same steps as you by using SOAP Sonar but worked in one server but did not in the other.
That’s why I thought of any other security configurations that may be different between the two servers.

Sorry if I’m deviating or stealing the thread but just wanted to clarify whether this web.xml 's security constraint has any effect on the webservices as well along with the web applications?

Regards,
Suren

Hi,

This is the first time I am generating a webService consumer in webMethods 6.5. I am doing a soapRPC call to invoke a webService in Siebel. When I am making soapRPC call, I am getting following error in SOAPFault.

There is no active Web Service with operation named ‘http://neutron.bluecoat.com/AccountInterface:CreateUpdateAccount’.(SBL-EAI-04313)

I tested the webService in siebel from SOAPUI, its working and active. I am not making any changes in the connector that got generated after I imported the WSDL. I also placed the WSDL and xsd in the IS/folder/pub location.

Any specific value that I need to pass to the connector? or any other configurations I need to do.

Please advice…

Thanks,
sm