SAP - RFC Notification for multiple SAP systems

Hello,

Client is looking for a solution to the problem:

Right now there is one SAP system which calls our IS (via RFC Listener Notification). We want to be able to be called by other SAP Systems, too. They should trigger the same flow service as the current system. As far as I know the admins can’t create a Listener Notification without the designer. Additionally they can’t configure the Notification which means that in the end we as developers have to deliver both the Notification and the Listener. Do you know of a way to programmatically create such a Notification? All SAP Systems will have the same function with the same name and the same doctype.

So they want some solution to call Integration Server service with RFC from multiple SAP systems with only administration (scripting) work to add additional SAP systems.

Maybe Routing Notification would be some way to go?

Best regards,
Leszek

Hi Leszek,

you will need an additional RFC connection and Lister to the second SAP-System created in IS Admin SAP Adapter UI.
There is no need for designer here.
Refer to ART Build In Services (part of IS Build in Services) to achieve this programmatically if needed.

The Listener Notification can be developed and then deployed to the target server.
The Connection and the Listener contain environment specific information and should be deployed while being deactivated if there is a need to do so.
Unfortunately the Listener does not allow variable substitution during deployments.

Regards,
Holger

Hi Holger,

I think I don’t get it.

I have one IS (with integration to one application using SAP data) and multiple SAP systems.
Adding Connections and Listeners is possible by administration tools (and services).

Problem is with Listener Notifications. How we can connect more SAP systems on the same IS (they should call the same IS service - actually publish JMS document) without using wM Designer?

Deployment will try to deploy the same Adapter Listener over existing one.

Best regards,
Leszek

Hi Leszek,

you will have to define separate Listener Notifications (one for each system/Listener), which in turn can call the same service if needed.
Eventually you will need to have intermediate services for each Notification which map the Notification-specific document to a common one and then call the shared service.

Listener Notifications can be easily deployed by Deployer where as Listeners are not deployable due to the missing variable substitution feature for Listeners.

Regards,
Holger

So I need to make deployment package with Listener Notification and for every new SAP system deploy it with string substitution? I will need to change Listener Notification’s name and listener.

Hi Leszek,

this will not work.

Listener Notifications do not have any substitutable values.

Only Connections and Listeners do, but Listeners are not recognized by Deployer for variable susbtitution (at least up to 9.5).

We are using the following approach:
One package for the Connections and Listeners (one for each system), which will not be deployed but manually created on each target through Admin UI.
One Package for each System, containing the Listener and the corresponding first service.
One package for the shared DocTypes and Services.

In the system specific package in the first service map the document to the shared DocType and then invoke the shared service(s).

The system specific packages and the shared package can then be deployed without further modifications.

Regards,
Holger

Hi Holger,

So you are doing similar thing like we but requirement is to avoid development for every SAP system.
We are looking for solution of adding additional SAP systems without designer as fully configuration process.

All SAP systems have the same services which will be used to communicate with IS.

It’s why I was thinking about Routing Notification, from documentation it seems that different SAP systems can call it and in our case routing will be simple - one route. Do you have any experience with it?

Best regards,
Leszek

Hi Leszek,

as we usually have different mappings for each system even when the structures are identical we have to use different services for each system.

Therefore I do not have any experience with routing notifications.

Regards,
Holger

Hi Holger,

One quick question on the same topic. Currently we are setting up SAP listener. SAP provided us 2 gateway host.
That means we need to create 2 listeners in our current environment and we also need to create separate notification for each listener is that correct?
Can we ask SAP team to provide load balancing IP for gateway host is it possible in SAP?

If we want to configure 2 listeners separately in our environment means it is a code change for us.
Because we need to handle document published by notification separately for both the listeners.

Could you please check and update us if you have any idea.