SAP publish to Oracle database

I am new to the whole pub -sub and SAP world of webMethods - I needed an idea as to how to do the following?

Say I create an order in SAP and publish it to the broker. I also have a JDBC adapter subscribed to the broker, if I need to update/insert some information in the Oracle database hooked upto the JDBC adapter,would this whole scenario work?

How would I be publishing this order to the broker - do I need to use an SAP adapter too? Do I need to use RFC/IDOCS? What if I have a volume of 2500 orders/hour? Any ideas/approach is appreciated.

What if I also wanted some information back from the database into SAP?How would I approach this. Do I need to write some custom java/flow services also to achieve this?
Basically I am looking for a simple example/solution of how to send messages from SAP to Oracle DB using webMethods.

many thanks
Andy k

Say I create an order in SAP and publish it to the broker. I also have a JDBC adapter subscribed to the broker, if I need to update/insert some information in the Oracle database hooked upto the JDBC adapter,would this whole scenario work?

Yes it works.

How would I be publishing this order to the broker
Once you the idoc/xml from SAP convert it to your internal cannonical document and use pub.publish:publish service to Broker and set up a Trigger for subscribing the publishable document and build the JDBC Adapter services for insert/updates.

• do I need to use an SAP adapter too?
    For inbound/outbound documents exchange from SAP,SAP Adapter communication is necessary along with WM partner manager routing rules.

Do I need to use RFC/IDOCS? Its all depends what SAP document format you requirement wanted to use.
What if I have a volume of 2500 orders/hour?
Basically you need to tune up and configure respective servers/RFClistener/processing/coding logic/jdbc connection pools.But 2500/hr is not big deal to process in webMethods also depends on how if processing large documents(IDOC’s).

WM-SAP users will definetely add more comments on this,be patience.

Just few replies.

Thanks RMG - your tips have been really helpful.It looks like you are a good person to ask more questions to?

What are the alternatives to using a Broker and JDBC adapter.What if we used the SAP adapter to receive idocs and then wrote a java service to talk to the database.This should work I think, only the effort required will be more.

Also I had asked before, what if we want messages to go back from the database also to SAP. I guess the pub-sub can be coded to work both ways right?

Thanks
Andy K

What are the alternatives to using a Broker and JDBC adapter.What if we used the SAP adapter to receive idocs and then wrote a java service to talk to the database.This should work I think, only the effort required will be more.

yes you are right,this needs more effort,but using WM built components used then everything should be based on GUI…unless there is no custom coding is required.

Also I had asked before, what if we want messages to go back from the database also to SAP. I guess the pub-sub can be coded to work both ways right?

yes pub-sub can be used either way too…but all depends on the how your process architecture defined.

Also search this site more regarding IDOC exchange WM-SAP-WM etc…you will find some useful architectural thread discussions.

HTH,
RMG

Thanks RMG for your post - I am getting a better understanding of what needs to be done now. This is basically a real time interface between SAP and another application - so we will be to send information from sap via idocs and be querying the oracle database with some information pertaining to these idocs and returning the result back to SAP. I am not sure how this will work, and the architecture is yet to be finalised. I am thinking the SAP idoc will be sent to a flow/java service and this will query the database and send a result string/idoc back to SAP. Any ideas if this is feasible - how would I solve this problem? I have never worked with idocs but in my understanding they are like flat files, so we should be able to pull the required information out of them in the flow service , right?

yes,IDOC’s are like flatfiles but it is some what structured with segments,so build a flowservice/javaservice(for custom logic) and using the SAPAdapter services parse the IDOC and extract the information map to the Adapter service for inserting to DB.

HTH,
RMG