SAP losing connection to Adapter Listener

Hi,

We have recently started having a problem with our SAP system sending large volumes of IDocs to the SAP Adapter Listener. The problem is that SAP starts to send the IDocs to the adapter OK but at some point SAP seems to lose connection to the listener and stops sending. This then causes severe performance issues in SAP as all the tRFC queues fill up. Testing the RFC destination in SAP at this point returns a connection error.

On checking the connection in the SAP adapter the connection and the listeners all look OK - both the connection and the listeners are still showing as enabled. There are no errors in the error log and nothing obvious in the server log even at Trace level logging.

The resolution has been to disable all SAP adapter listeners and re-enable them. The listeners always disable and enable successfully on the adapter, but we sometimes need to repeat this exercise a couple of times before the RFC destination in SAP tests OK and the IDocs start transmitting again.

I am not wholly convinced, at this stage, that this is a wM issue and the issue may be in SAP but I need to know if anybody has any ideas of where to check both in wM and in SAP in order to diagnose and resolve this problem.

We are using Integration Server 8.2.2 with SAP Adapter 7.1 (fix 10 applied).

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Julian,

We had similar issue [in 8.2.2] , specifically when volume was very high.

We created independent listeners for different IDOC types. It helped us to distribute the load among different listeners.

HTH.

Thanks,
Rankesh

Hi Rankesh,

Many thanks for your swift response. I’m not sure that will help for our particular example as the IDocs were all of the same type when we had the issue, with nothing else going through.

I will give it a try though and let you know how I get on.

Hi Julian,

I hope you have already tweaked your listener for:

  1. Number of Threads.
  2. If SNC enabled, check SNC Quality of Service.
  3. Any tweak done at SAP gateway for high volume.

HTH.

Thanks,
Rankesh

Hi Rankesh,

We currently have the number of threads in the listener set to 10, but from what I am seeing SAP is still single threading them. I believe this is down to the MAXCONN setting in SAP transaction SMQS (I found this information from a KB article on the Empower website - may not be true), which is set to 1. Unfortunately I dont know how to change this value and neither does our BASIS person seemingly.

SNC is not currently enabled.

Unfortunately I am not a SAP person are there any tips you can give me for tweaking the SAP gateway for high volumes? I can then pass them on to our BASIS person for checking.

Thanks again,
Julian.

Bingo! no SAP experience, but got a link which may help to set SMQS settings:

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/ABAPConn/Outbound+Scheduler+(SMQS)+remains+in+status+WAITING

HTH.

Thanks,
Rankesh

1 Like

Excellent! Thanks for that Rankesh.

I have forwarded it on to our BASIS person. We’ll try tweaking the MAXCONN value and see what happens. It also has some useful pointers for him to look at when we next have the problem to see what is happening.

HI Julian,

We are also facing some times (Intermittently now and then) same issue in our IS 822 with SAP Adapter 71 (Fix11 currently) and we might also need route it to BASIS help to tune on the MAXCONN :frowning:

Please share on this thread back if you would ever able to resolve it now or later:

TIA,
RMG

@Julian,

Can you point me the Empower KB article for this issue?

I believe this is down to the MAXCONN setting in SAP transaction SMQS (I found this information from a KB article on the Empower website - may not be true),

Also this issue is happening in 822 only not 712 (even though we have pointed the same ECC servers) strange with 822 IDOC processing behavior.

Thanks again,
RMG

Hi RMG,

The KB article is 1726057 and can be found here: https://empower.softwareag.com/sl24sec/SecuredServices/KCFullTextASP/viewing/view.asp?KEY=076713-3958905&DSN=PIVOTAL&DST=TCD&HL=1&QUERY=SAP|SMQS&SessionID=1009231314

Julian,

Yes I found that articlet already…thanks for getting back.

Please let us know if your BASIS was able to resolved it MAXCONN tuning or any work around on this issue.

TIA,
RMG

Hi RMG.

Our BASIS team changed the AS Group that was being used by the webMethods task in transaction SMQS in SAP. For some reason it was using AS Group “WORKFLOW”. They changed this value to “DEFAULT” and the problem seems now to be fixed.

We have run the same transactions and number of IDocs that created the issue in the past and all have processed successfully without SAP losing connection to the adapter listener or SAP performance being affected adversely.

Possibly something to check if you are still experiencing the same issue.

OK great glad to hear it resolved for you…we will also check it and update.

HTH,
RMG