Pipeline storage

Hi all,

Where will the pipeline values will gets stored while running a service in developer?
Also what are the different ways of killing the execution of a webMethod service?

Thanks and Regards,
Shriraksha A N

“Where will the pipeline values will gets stored while running a service in developer?”

In memory. Strictly speaking, a service does not run “in” Developer. It runs on IS. Developer sends commands to IS and IS runs the service, returning the results to Developer.

“Also what are the different ways of killing the execution of a webMethod service?”

Restarting IS is the only reliable way without potentially causing issues. Killing a thread in a JVM (which is what is needed to kill a service) is problematic (material on the web). If memory serves, there is a discussion or two on these forums about how to kill a thread–but this should be done only in development/testing and never in prod. And in dev/testing, a restart is usually the better idea (in case of a runaway thread).

Flow is the following, when you execute a flow service step by step:

1- Developer POST pipeline (if any) to the service in IS.
2- IS executes the step and sends pipeline to Developer.
3- Developer shows the pipeline, when you click button to execute next step we go to point 1.

As reamon points out killing a thread is dangerous, and can leave the JVM on a inconsistent state. Is not recommended and clearly not possible by default unless you use remote tools.

However wM 8 comes with this functionality, you can now display threads running on IS and kill one, but remember is not a good idea.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually my requirement is I need to stop the service which is running in developer when the service takes longer time than the expected for its execution. The webMethods service is being invoked by the DSP page(browser request). so I tried to stop the execution by reloading the package. But it didn’t work. so I am thinking like deleting the pipeline values will stop the execution if there is a way to delete it.

Thanks and Regards,
Shriraksha A N

No, there is not any way to kill the service which is running for more than expected time except killing from backend running processes. however i would advice you to look for the reason why it is running for long, lets say if you are accessing some db and its responding configure timeout in that call … similarly for http calls if any is there from your service.