Newbie question

Oh, I see that the “Post Reply” works much nicer than the “Quick Reply”.

With that said, let me try posting my NTCICSP macro values again using your posting technique:

NTCICSP PREFIX=&SYSPARM,      NAME PREFIX                     +
      BACKEND=ON,             BACK-END PROGRAM                +
      BACKOUT=ON,             BACKOUT TRANSACTION ABENDS      +
      BACKRPL=ALL,            LIST BACK-END PROGRAM           +
      CALLRPL=ALL,            LIST EXTERNAL SUBROUTINE        +
      CHAP=OFF,          %CPA TASK DISPATCHING PRIORITY       +
      CNTCALL=OFF,       %CPA CICS CALL USING DATA CONTAINER  +
      COMARET=ON,             COMMAREA USAGE TASK CONTRO      +
      DUPTID=ON,              HANDLE DUPLICATE TID            +
      FDTPX=ON,          %CPA FORCE DTP EXIT CALL FOR LINE1   +
      LOGDEST=NLOG,           DEST.ID FOR SESSION LOGGNG      +
      MSGDEST=NERR,           DEST.ID FOR ERROR MSG LOG       +
      MSGPFX=ON,              GEN NCI MESSAGE PREFIX          +
      MSGTRAN=NMSG,           MSG SWITCHING TRANSACT ID       +
      PRMDEST=NPRM,           NAME OF CICS DESTINATION        +
      PSTRNID=ON,             PGM IS PSEUDO CONV TRAN ID      +
      RESENDC=OFF,       %CPA RESEND LAST SCREEN ON CALL      +
      RESENDS=OFF,       %CPA RESEND LAST SCREEN RESUME       +
      RJEDEST=NRJE,           DESTINATION ID FOR SUBMIT       +
      SLCALL=OFF,             STD LINK CALL WHEN NO CMDLVL    +
      SLNOHLD=OFF,       %CPA LOAD OPTION FOR EXTERNAL PGMS   +
      SNDLAST=OFF,            LAST OPTION FOR EXEC CICS       +
      TERMVAR='&&TID',        TERMINAL ID VARIABLE            +
      TRANCHK=OFF,            CHECK FOR TRANSID IN INPUT      +
      UCTRAN=OFF,        %CPA LOWER/MIXED CASE SUPPORT        +
      UNITID=OFF,             ESTABLISH UNIQUE TID            +
      USERID=OFF         %CPA DEAL WITH CICS USER ID           

So let’s see how they post using the technique you stated you were using.

Thanks for the tip!

Kathy

Brian,

you definitely don*t need an NWO server to execute Natural programs from within ONE: ONE will internally fire up one if it needs one for execution. Please check the console output in ONE when you try to execute a program. It should display something like (in my case):

Natural Runtime proxy started
[18:58:21.443] session parameters: webio=on etid=$$
[18:58:21.734] Logon to Library TEST
[18:58:21.746] pass server configuration (natparm):
[18:58:21.746] SF=1 IM=D
[18:58:21.746] LT=99999999 MCPU=60 PAGEDATASET=50
[18:58:21.746] ZP=ON FCDP=ON DFOUT=S DFSTACK=S DFTITLE=S PM=R DTFORM=I MAXYEAR=2699
[18:58:21.746] CF=% DC=. IA== ID=, THSEPCH=,
[18:58:21.746] ZD=ON REINP=ON
[18:58:21.747] SM=ON SYMGEN=OFF GFID=ON MAXPREC=7
[18:58:21.747] EDTBPSIZE=1048575
[18:58:21.747] Codepage=
[18:58:21.748] pass server configuration (sysvar):
[18:58:21.749] language (ULANG)= 1
[18:58:21.749] Ndv server Web I/O version 4020101
[18:58:21.749] new connection to Ndv Server (Snowball - 2700 id=602803749) established
[18:58:21.749] Application starting…
[18:58:21.750] pass Steplibs:
[18:58:21.750] TEST
[18:58:21.756] execute command TEST
[18:58:21.756] executing command/program
[18:58:21.760] Natural I/O timeout: 30sec
[18:58:21.760] Natural I/O port: 3500
[18:58:21.760] send event START_IO
[18:58:22.201] open Natural I/O socket Socket[addr=/192.168.56.1,port=57169,localport=3500]
[18:58:22.208] send page to Application server (668 bytes)

You need to switch on Console output in Window - Preferences - Software AG - Natural to see this.

Regards, Thomas

This post echos some of the “newbie” frustration I’m going through getting NatOne to work consistently. This tool is quite complex and error messages/warnings are a plenty. Done plenty of mainframe, entirex and windows work before, but this is all new with ajax, tomcat, eclipse, etc. And the other post about making this available as a ‘standard’ image for all other programmers seems high risk and full of potential support problems with a huge time commitment. But it must be done this year.

Currently getting intermittent connection problems. Will not connect… keep refresh and eventually connects… do program updates and run DB updates. Updated 2 records, then 1 minute later went to update 1 more record and the connection was lost and would not reconnect. Tried for an hour with no luck.

Seems like the RUN command does not run the source in the window, but rather only runs the mainframe source. So if the source does not update the mainframe, then the run does not use the new source code in Nat One.

If anyone has found the magic to make this all work, I’d appreciate a tip. At least it is comforting to see other experienced people having to carve a path through the jungle with a machete.

Hi all,

I can feel your frustration in the posts here…

I can say, once you understand and appreciate the techniques of the IDE, it will become second nature.

I don’t think a standard image is a solution, but potentially, standard ‘Workspaces’ might be a better short term solution. I am considering setting up a blog with my Natural One hints and tips (specifically with people in mind who come from a strictly mainframe / Natural for Windows type background).

I regularly host training sessions for my team and encourage them to persevere through their frustrations, or ask myself if they need help understanding why something isn’t working or what the problem might be. The only way to master Natural One is to understand why things are operating in a certain way and what action to perform to remedy it.

I can undoubtedly say Natural One will improve your development time, enable consistency and testing techniques. But you cannot just pick it up out of the box and expect that, you need to take time to really get the hang of things.

One thing, is the profile for your connection setup correctly?

Re this question:

You need to either use a local runtime to run locally otherwise, perhaps try a private library (so you do not impact your current module) to run from a module in your private library on the mainframe.

Thanks so much for the quick reply Trentan.

I have used Nat Spod (w/Linux server) and loved it, but I didn’t have to install it. Totally agree it is more productive and anxious to get to that point… but taking lots of work, which is fine, just difficult.

Unsure what the “proper profile setup” is. Is it similar to what was posted previously (by Kathy J)?

Will also try local runtime/private library. As Brian said… lots more reading - here, empower, sag-l.

Problem with not using a standard image is that we cannot deploy the software. All PCs are locked very tight to comply with various requirements. Everything must go through a legal approval process and audit controls with no wiggle room.

Definitely planning on have at least monthly sessions with the apps dev staff as this gets started… and probably weekly to begin.

I’ll read your blog if you start one.

Dana,

In Natural you can RUN a source, that is, compile-and-go. In Eclipse (NaturalONE) RUN means execute, so no source is involved. (In server mode you can EXecute, because Natural commands are used there.) If a build (i.e.CAT) fails, you execute the previous/existing version, just like Natural always has done.