.NET SOAP Authentication took lots of time

We have a interface from call centre to our system. We are using webMethods 6.5 with TN. The call centre runs on different network and there is a 100MBPS link between call centre to webMethods gateway.

Earlier we tested the link and it took less than 3 sec in every call. We did not have any authentication at that time.

Now we have authentication in place and this is according to “SOAP_Developers_Guide_6.5.pdf” chepter 7.

SOAP client is .NET client.

We are suppose to process every request in less than 10sec. And we did PoC without authentication and it was OK. But now when this authentication is in place it is taking upto 3/4 min for every request.

We have 100MBPS extranet with 2GBPS inside LAN. And speed in the link is not a problem.

Do you have any input why it is taking so much of time.

What type of authentication is used? Is the connection to IS using HTTPS? Are you using an access-controlled custom SOAP processor or one the default SOAP processor?

Mark

We are using simple HTTP and using an access-controlled custom SOAP processor. The ACL Assigned in TNPartners. Not sure why it is taking so much time.

If you stand up a simple ping web service which doesn’t do any real work, but returns some value such as a timestamp, does this take as much time as invoking a web service that is doing something more substantial?

Can you post the .Net code snippet that is setting the credentials for the request?

What happens when you consume your service using a testing tool like SOAP Sonar or XML Spy Enterprise?

Mark

We don’t have the SOAP Sonar or XML Spy, but we have a heartbeat methods in the same server and called using same fashin. This operation does not do anything. An it also take lots of time :frowning: … Without authentication all of them are quick .

.NET code just say preauthenticate = true and send the network credentials. But code is hold by partner so I don’t have it handy.

Is there any reason or anybody has previous experience of such issue? When we try the same using .net client at our network, it is quick.

You can get the personal edition of SOAP Sonar for free 180-day download. I would test with it both on your network and on the partners client workstation. If the same request with authentication performs differently, I would suggest getting a network guru to fire up some network analysis tools to see what is going on at that layer.

My gut reaction is that this is a network issue and not an issue with IS or the IS Soap Processor if you get good performance when testing with authentication from within your network.

Mark

Thanks, I will check with network guys and try to see if there are any issue there. We have opened a call with webMethods also and let see what they say. It is realy helpfull.

After all investigation it is seen that .NET 1.1 has bug and it does not send authentication along with the soap request even if preAuthenticate=true

It is resolved in .NET Framework 1.1 SP1

We yet to test it but as far network tcp trace is concern, we can see one quick traffic coming in and goes out. After that it took almost 1 min or more to get the actual trafic. So we think it is issue with .NET. Thanks to Microsoft :((

Hi,
Even after SP 1 the issue is not resolved. Sniffer result shows that there are 4 comunication which has authentication and after that we have application communication and ACK. But after that there are couple of packet goint to/fro which are taking lots of time and add the overall response time. This are may be the session end communication.
Any input on this?