.NET API & Time Measurement

Hi *,

I’m using .NET API 4.1.5 (the other Tamino Components are 4.1.4) and I want to run the samples with the event watcher. But the watcher doesn’t show any events. I’ve run the installutil tool and the *.exe.config is in the same directory as the executable.

Do I have to update any other Tamino Components? Are there any other possible reasons?

Thanks,
Bjoern

Did the event watcher programm start successfully? I am asking because the convenience batch programm(runManagementEventWatcher.cmd) to start the event watcher does not work properly. Please find attached a corrected version of this batch.

When you see the event watcher GUI you have to go thru the steps as described in the chapter

Measuring Operation Duration/Running the Samples
/The CoreAPIManagementEvents Sample/Watching TaminoCoreApiEvent Objects Step-by-Step

Did you press the “Refresh” in the event watcher GUI after running runCoreMeasuringSamples.cmd ?

Best Regards,
Christine
runManagementEventWatcher.cmd (494 Bytes)

Hi Christine,

the event watcher program starts successfully (I started the exe-file directly) - but it is the same with the new batch file. There are no events in the table, when I press the refresh button (there is one line with “null” values).

Do I have to install something additionally or start another service?

Regards,
Bjoern

Hi Bjoern,

You have to call installutil TaminoAPI.dll once as described in the chapter “Architecture and Technical Concepts/Installation and Uninstallation”.

To see some values you have to run for instance runCoreMeasuringSamples.cmd while the event watcher is running. If you first run runCoreMeasuringSamples.cmd and then start the event watcher you won’t see any values.

Best Regards,
Christine

Hi,

this is exactly what I did. I ran the installutil tool and I’m starting the watcher before running the samples.

Bjoern

Hi Bjoern,

When running runCoreMeasuringSamples.cmd, are exceptions thrown like:

Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. —> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for “ConvertClass_1” threw an exception. —> System.Management.ManagementException: Not found

Best Regards,
Christine

Bjoern,

It might be a stupid question, but when you press “refresh” in the watcher, is there a “plus sign” in the data grid? If yes, did you click on it?

Best Regards,
Christine

Hi Christine,

there are no exceptions thrown when I execute the runCoreMearuringSamples.cmd script (see attachment).

Yes, if I press refresh there is a plus sign and if
I click on that there is a string “TaminoCoreApiEvent”.
And if I finally click on that there is a table with
eight columns, one row and each cell has the value “(null)”.

I don’t think this is a stupid question, because it must
be a stupid mistake on my part.

Bj
output.txt (1.42 KB)

All right, but you should see more than “null” values. Did you press the “Start Watcher” button in the watcher dialog before you ran the samples?

The ordering of the steps is very important:
1) start the watcher
2) press “Start Watcher”
3) call runCoreMeasuringSamples.cmd
4) press “refresh”

Best Regards,
Christine

Yes I executed the steps in this order.

Bjoern

What query string is displayed in “Recent WQL”?
What Windows version and .NET version do you use?

Best Regards,
Christine

The query string is:
select * from TaminoCoreApiEvent

I’m running Windows XP Pro with .NET 1.1.

Bjoern

Hi,

I made a new install of Tamino and now it works - I think I didn’t make something different.

Two more questions:
I’m measuring queries and there are only non-zero time values for TotalOperationDuration and TotalCommunicationDuration (is this right?).

What’s the meaning of ino:duration in the query response?

Thanks,
Bjoern

Hi Bjoern,

That’s good news!

Whether TaminoServerDuration and/or XmlParseDuration is not 0 depends on the query. If the duration is very short the values may be 0.

Best Regards,
Christine