Natural invoking IExplorer (my first post)

hi all,

this is my very first post. i’ve been looking around to see if someone have asked the same question before. i don’t think i found one.

we are using Natural 04.02.01 (*NATVERS) for Mainframe.
our emulator is QWS3270 Secure 4.3.2.

basically we want Natural to be able to start/invoke IExplorer via the function key, e.g. PF5.

in the background, once PF5 is pressed, Natural calls IExplorer with the necessary parameters, such as website and search values.

can this be done with our current setup?

thank you.

chris
[/b]

Hi Chris,
I’m not quite sure what you are trying to achieve !?
Are you basically trying to access a webserver somewhere from Natural on MF ?

• in that case you should explore the statement
    REQUEST DOCUMENT
    that can make an HTTP request from the MF, i.e. make the MF a webservice client.

Beware that you need to modify your MF natural setup ! (read the manual;-)
Finn

Hi Chris

Entire Connection offers this possibility thru its Download API. The program

DEFINE DATA LOCAL
1 #LINE     (A121)
1 #CMD      (A80)
END-DEFINE
SET CONTROL '+'

WRITE WORK 6 COMMAND 'SET PCFILE 7 DOWN DATA C:/TEMP/ASCIICMP.BAT'

#LINE :=  '"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"'
WRITE WORK 7 #LINE
#LINE :=  'pause'
WRITE WORK 7 #LINE

WRITE  WORK 6 COMMAND
   'DOS C:/TEMP/ASCIICMP.BAT'

END

starts the IE.
May be your emulation offers something similar you can access thru a self-written Natural 3GL.

hi Klaus Sponagel,

yes! that’s what i was trying to figure out. one problem though, we don’t have Entire Connection in our office. this could have solved our problem!

i’ll reseach on Natural 3GL though.

thanks!

I’ve also done something like this using EntireX Communicator and Visual Basic, in that case to invoke MS Word and fill in the document with mainframe data…let me know if you need details.

hi douglas,

that’s cool. i will not bother you with it right now though. i’ll keep it mind and will get back at you when the need arise.

thank you very much again for everyone’s input. we haven’t found any solution yet. how i wish we had EntireX.

regards,

chris

Hello Douglas,

I was after similar functionality where I can invoke an open system application from a mainframe NATURAL in order to maintain a narrative text, spell check and return the result back to the calling program to store data in ADABAS.

Appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks
Bijan