Migration from Broker to UM – POC

Hello Experts,

We are working on POC to replace Broker to UM for messing. Integration Server is running on v9.8.

Before starting the work we would like to have view from experts and some of the points WRT existing Broker usage / configuration

1. we are using 18 IS and every IS has its own Broker instances with separate data store , running on single installation of Broker Server. Few of them are using Gateway to connect to each other and Broker running on 7.2

IN UM we have Realms , is it expected to have 18 realm in single installation of we can have some diff approach to achieve the same?
Is the concept of Gateway is same or different?
Can the UM connect to Broker running on version 7.2

1. We would be going for licenses which we would be getting as part of Broker replacement and I guess we would be getting only active –passive cluster.

I know as part of active / active cluster one Realm work as master and other as slave and it has to have N+1 to form the cluster. How are we going to achieve active – passive cluster and how it’s going to work?

1. We are using Java program which uses the Broker API to publish document on Broker as JMS.

Any idea how much effort would be needed for this rework as converting Broker API with UM API?

1. How much extra resources provisioning needed e.g. in term of CPU and RAM to accommodate the same

2. Any other suggestion which should be given consideration before migration?

Thanks,
Manish

Manish,

here are my comments on your questions. I encourage others to respond also, based on their experiences.

1. we are using 18 IS and every IS has its own Broker instances with separate data store , running on single installation of Broker Server. Few of them are using Gateway to connect to each other and Broker running on 7.2

[JH] Why do you have these separate Broker instances? Why do you not have a single Broker instance?

IN UM we have Realms , is it expected to have 18 realm in single installation of we can have some diff approach to achieve the same?
[JH] You can have multiple realms in a single installation, but it will consume more resources than 18 Brokers in a Broker Server. I would recommend that you aim for a single realm, assuming you don’t have namespace clashes between the topics/queues your ISes are using.

Is the concept of Gateway is same or different?
[JH] In UM, you can establish a remote Join from one realm to another. This is the functional equivalent of a Broker Gateway.

Can the UM connect to Broker running on version 7.2
[JH] UM cannot be connected to Broker. But you can connect one IS simultaneously to Broker and UM and use that as a bridge.

1. We would be going for licenses which we would be getting as part of Broker replacement and I guess we would be getting only active –passive cluster.

I know as part of active / active cluster one Realm work as master and other as slave and it has to have N+1 to form the cluster. How are we going to achieve active – passive cluster and how it’s going to work?
[JH] Active-passive clustering with UM works the same as with Broker. You have a single installation on shared storage (e.g. SAN) and you use third-party clustering software (Veritas, ServiceGuard, Windows Cluster) to transfer the node to a different physical machine in case of failure. Alternatively you can use VMWare with VMotion to achieve a similar active-passive configuration. UM A-P and A-A clustering are described in the UM Clustering Guide.

1. We are using Java program which uses the Broker API to publish document on Broker as JMS.

Any idea how much effort would be needed for this rework as converting Broker API with UM API?
[JH] The APIs are different. I don’t have any idea of the level of effort.

1. How much extra resources provisioning needed e.g. in term of CPU and RAM to accommodate the same
    [JH] Resource usage is similar, however, UM is designed to make optimal use of available resources, but achieves higher performance as a result.

2. Any other suggestion which should be given consideration before migration?
    [JH] Yes: watch this video: [url]http://techcommunity.softwareag.com/pwiki/-/wiki/Main/Migrating+from+Broker+to+Universal+Messaging[/url]

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks a lot for response.

Here is the answers to your question

[JH] Why do you have these separate Broker instances? Why do you not have a single Broker instance?
[MK} Each IS is build for separate business unit along with their separate Broker . We have some common namespace between Brokers, so taking them all to single realm would result on code change which business may not agree for.

[JH] UM cannot be connected to Broker. But you can connect one IS simultaneously to Broker and UM and use that as a bridge.
[MK] Broker running on 7.2 is our partner Broker and not in our scope of work. So we would not able to do much any change as part of our Broker to UM migration activity

Thanks again
Manish

I understand your use-case now, even though it is quite unusual.
It will not map well onto UM, as you can’t separate a single realm into different logical blocks (=Brokers).
So you will either need to resolve your namespace issues (which is the approach I would recommend) or use multiple realms.