Migrating from 4x to 6x

what challages u faced while migrating wm4.x to wm6.x?

If you are talking about IS 4.x to 6.x, it is not a big deal. I you are using Enterprise Server, then you either have to use wm’s conversion tools or manually re-write the integrations in IS.

Wm’s conversion tool is not perfect. We looked into it and decided it would be best to just rewrite all the integrations there. They ended up much prettier than they were :wink:

“not perfect” is the understatement of the year.

I would recommend trying it for a simple integration, just to learn what it does, and then hand coding 90% of your code. Like for instance, every time you have a branch in EI, the converter creates a stub of a java service to replace it, when a simple flow branch will usually suffice.

True, I was being sarcastic without knowing :-/.

Recoding ES stuff into the IS is quite easy if you have the two side by side. The end result looks better than what you started with. For instance you do not need to send messages to other adapters (for instance IOAdapter, JDE Adater) to get parts of an integration done.

Are you using multiple brokers (multiple ES) ?

We used to have an IS <—> multiple Brokers (aka ES) <–> JDE/Oracle

we converted this to IS+TN <–> Broker (only for canonicals) <–> IS <–> JDE/Oracle

The above was the toughest nut to crack, since we connected to 6 different JD Edwards environments. In IS 6 you can only have one broker, however you can have multple connections to different JDE environments. We ended up with two Integration servers, so we can have scalability if needed in the future.

Hi,

I have some concerns concerning the jvms.

Can there be any challenges when upgrading the jvm ?
For WM 4.6 we are using jvm 1.3.1
But WM 6.1 seems to need jvm 1.4.2.
Is there any way to use jvm 1.3.1 with 6.1 or is jvm 1.4.2 mandatory ?

First of all, there is no such thing as WM 4.6 and WM 6.1. I will assume for the sake of this message that you are referring to IS 4.6 and IS 6.1.

If you have written custom java services that depend on Java features specific to the 1.3.1 JDK, those services will need to be modified to use the 1.4.x classes.

You should be able to identify those issues first by attempting to compile them in IS running 1.4.x and then by careful regression testing.

Any challenges associated with this issue seem to be minor compared to the changes you should make to migrate from WmDB to the JDBC adapter and from use of the Broker/IS “bridge” to triggers and publishable document types.

Mark

Sorry. You’are right. I forgot to mention that it was for a migration IS to IS.

From what you are saying, it seems that WM IS 6.1 has to run on 1.4.X JDK and so cannot run on JDK 1.3.X anymore.

As you mentionned, we have written custom java services using thread massively, so we are currently thinking of how we can make less changes as possible.

Anyway thanks for the answer, it was really helpful.

1.4 is backwards compatable enough so that 99% (or more) of your 1.3 java service code should be just fine. It is that 1% (or less) that will bite you. I would try to find a list of incompatablities between the versions and try to look for any of that.

IS 6.1 ships with both the IBM 1.3.1 JRE and the Sun 1.4.2 JRE. The IBM JRE is enabled by default. However, one of the first things I do with a new install is switch to the Sun 1.4.2 JVM.

You should not have problems running IS 6.1 with the provided IBM 1.3.1 JRE, but I would recommend spending the time to test with the provided Sun 1.4.2 JRE.

I agree with Roger, that you should not have many issues, but only solid regression testing will confirm that assumption.

Mark

I hope I didn’t leave the impression that I disagreed with Mark’s statement that you should do full regression testing. I was just suggesting that a little research might help your testing go smoother.

One of the most sore problems using the default jre was the ReplaceAll function of java.lang.String that is not available in JRE1.3 But yes Roger and Mark are correct rigorous testing is required to exactly know the challenges

Thanks
Pritam

Hi,

Regarding the conversion from WmDb to JDBC Adapter :
Can webMethods IS 6.1 supports both of them running at the same time, meaning that there is no conflicts between WmDb and JDBC Adapter ?

Or do I have to choose either WmDb, either JDBC Adapter ?

Vincent,
You can use both at the same time. webMethods recommends moving to the JDBC Adapter because it is more reliable however there are some older drivers and databases that are not supported with the JDBC adapter. So you may have to keep the WmDB around until you can update your drivers and databases. Either way you can run both within a single IS instance.

markg
http://darth.homelinux.net

I agree with Mark G that both WmDB and the 6.x JDBC Adapter can run concurrently in the same IS instance. However, don’t use the fact that WmDB is still around as an excuse not to migrate to the JDBC adapter.

I’ve seen major performance improvements with the newer adapter primarily due to the improved connection pooling. Plus you should find it much easier to create database adapter services within Developer with the new adapter. Better stored procedures support, etc.

Mark C