.mem files in Nirvana

I am seeing exponential growth of .mem files under the data directory for nirvana.
A .mem file is specific for each queue.
But I am seeing that the size of the file grows even when the published data is consumed by the subscriber.
is this a issue with the acknowledgement sent back to “Nirvana” ( Universal Messaging) similar toi the acknowledgement while using webMethods Broker?

Try “Perform Maintenance” option for the queue in Enterprise Manager.
If that help, you can configure “Automatic Maintenance”. Refer to documentation for more details.

I think newer version support “Automatic Maintenance” by default when creating JMS queues/topics.

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for your response. I will try the Auto Maintenance and let you know if helps.

Anyway I have perception the documentation for Univeral Messaging is limited when compared to the traditional webMethods components.

Can you please tell me why the .mem files are created? is it to store the JMSMessage ? if So, why the message exists in UM even when its consumed and processed.

Thanks and Regards,
Raj

Hi Raj,

Please access UM core documentation at http://um.terracotta.org/developers/
It is online documentation, unlike webMethods PDF based documentation.

Can you please tell me why the .mem files are created? is it to store the JMSMessage ?
Yes

if So, why the message exists in UM even when its consumed and processed.
Not sure. I would assume it is for performance reason. If very frequent cleanup is done, then it may interfere with normal document pub/sub.

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for your repsonse.

Based on my intial analysis and testing , I observe that the ’ AUTO MAINTENANCE’ option did work like a charm. I could see the .mem (used space) not increasing beyod 1 KB.

On the contrary, I unchecked the ‘AUTO MAINTENANCE’ option, but the queue size did not increase.

Neverthless, the ‘AUTO MAINTENACE’ option did help in resolving the issue.

Regarding the documentation, my only concern is that its not as comprehensive as other components in the product suite.

Cheers ,

Raj

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for your repsonse.

Based on my intial analysis and testing , I observe that the ’ AUTO MAINTENANCE’ option did work like a charm. I could see the .mem (used space) not increasing beyod 1 KB.

On the contrary, I unchecked the ‘AUTO MAINTENANCE’ option, but the queue size did not increase.

Neverthless, the ‘AUTO MAINTENACE’ option did help in resolving the issue.

Regarding the documentation, my only concern is that its not as comprehensive as other components in the product suite.

Cheers ,

Raj

It’s still in improvement stage…with documentation :smiley: