Localization problem in x-application

X-Application Version: 3.1.1
Tamino Version : 3.1.1
Platform : Win2k
WebContainer : Tomcat 3.3
JDK Version : 1.3.1

X-application could not produce correct correct Chinese character (in UNICODE format). When query via TII (Tamino interactive interface), the output character is correct.

However, when I generate an application via X-Generator, the output become “???” for those chinese character(I change the correct encoding for my browser tough).

So could someone give me explaining.

[This message was edited by Harald Wolf on 27 Feb 2002 at 16:44.]

Hello Tony,

I can give some hints which may help you IF

you don’t use a schema which contains Chinese
characters (e.g. to define element or attribute names with Chinese characters).

Then, it should be possible to work with the current version of X-Application without further restrictions, but you have to do the following steps

(1) change the style sheets for UTF-8 (or Big5 if you want) of the generated application:

• generate the application

• edit the 6 XSL style sheets produced by the generator (e.g. search.xsl, create.xsl, …). You must replace ‘ISO-8859-1’ by your coding (UTF-8 or Big5). There are 3 places per sheet where to replace the encoding.
    See also the file readme.txt within your directory %XAPPLICATION_HOME%. There is an entry ‘Internationalization’ at the end of the file.

• use the regenerate option of the generator GUI to generate the JSP pages with the encoding.

(2) change the file server.xml within your directory %TOMCAT_HOME%\conf:

I hope, this tip will help you. If you have still problems, post it to the community.

To process schemas defining elements/attributes containing Chinese charcaters, we are currently looking for a solution.

Good luck,
Christian.

The output is correct now. Thanks for your hints.

utf-8 is set as default encoding in X-Application 3.1.2.
Note: don´t forget to configure tomcat according the x-application 3.1.2 installation documentation if you switch to x-application 3.1.2.

Regards, Harald

I am using Xapp 3.1.2 in which utf-8 is the default encoding.
But I have problems with Turkish characters :frowning:
I checked the server.xml for
but there was not any such tag.
So I added manually as it was told.
Unfortunately it did not work :frowning:
Can Someone help me please.
By the way there are no turkish characters in the schema.
Only the values contain such characters.

X-Application Version: 3.1.2
Tamino Version : 3.1.1
Platform : Win2k,
WebContainer : Tomcat 3.2 upgraded to 3.3 as descrideb in \xapp\documentation\XApplication\instover.htm
JDK Version : 1.3.1

Hello,

perhaps, the following hints help you to solve your problem:

(a) Set the coding of your JSP page.

If you want to use UTF-8, I would recommend to code the JSP page with UTF-8
<%@ page language=“java” contentType=“text/html; charset=UTF-8”%>

(b) Set the coding for the browser.

You can control the coding a browser should use to display the content of an HTM page by using a meta tag. Add this meta tag to the header of your JSP pages

Bye,
Christian.

Hello,
I am using XApplication 3.1.2 and the jsp files generated by this version already contain these meta tags as charset=utf-8.
I am posting one of my jsp files as an attachment.
I will be glad if you can check what is wrong with it.
Many Thanks.
Server
dcreate.jsp (7.88 KB)

Hello Mehmet,

Which tomcat version do you use?

If you use Tomcat 3.2 (with the jaxp upgrade) I would recommend to use Tomcat 3.3.

Tomcat 3.3 supports the DecodeInterceptor as described in the X-Application documentation.

For Tomcat 3.2 you would need to write a event listener for requests (RequestInterceptor). Some example how implement such an interceptor exist in the web.

Regards, Harald