Length of path names

Hello everyone,

We have received errors in Developer (sorry, didn’t copy the specific error) where it is reported that a filename exceeds 260 characters, especially when checking code out of a VCS. The filename includes the path (i.e., the ns folder).

Has anyone else encountered this error and if so, what is an appropriate resolution?

All comments are welcome, thanks!

This is a limit imposed by Windows. There is not much you can do but going to MS and complain there. The 260 character limit originates from times when “640K ought to be enough for anybody”. See [url]Microsoft Learn: Build skills that open doors in your career and in there especially the section about “Maximum Path Length Limitations”.

Thomas

This is very interesting… this situation is occurring because we are consuming a BizTalk web service, which gives us the very long file names when we create the web service descriptors. While I could probably write some utility to warn developers when the path name length is exceeded, it would be nice to be able to limit that up front once the WSDL files are consumed upon creation of the web service descriptor.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Convince Java to use only absolute pathnames and prefix all of them with "\?" as mentioned in the MS document I pointed you to… But this will not solve the problems with your other utilities. Use linux? No - not an option: [url]c++ - Is there an equivalent to WinAPI's MAX_PATH under linux/unix? - Stack Overflow which also sheds some light onto the Windows issues. Get shorter pathnames by using shorter resource names? install to D:\ instead of C:\SoftwareAG? Sorry - no real solution available here.