Length of logged fields on process instances

Hi there,

Is there a way to increase the maximum length of logged fields on process instances. I am currently working on a process which sends a lot of IDOCs to SAP and I have as logged field a String sentIDOCs to which I am concatenating the numbers of all sent IDOCs. The problem is that if the String is just too long, I can only see a part of the String in the instance detail. I would need to have the complete lost so I can for instance be able to search in MWS based on a specific IDOC number.
I am using webMethods version 10.7

Thanks,
n23

Hi , I believe it’s a length limitation by default constrained to DB column max length you may also check the associated standard backend table and determine further!

HTH,
RMG

It is what RMG says above.

Logged fields are written to the table, so try increasing the length of the column (I can’t remember the name of the table, check the documentation) and that should solve it.

Tip - You must increase it to the same value on your Archive database as well.

1 Like

Hi,

Addendum:
Remember to restart the IS after changing the column lengths so IS is aware of the longer column size.

Regards,
Holger

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips!
Do you know in which documentation I can find the name of the table/column?

Br,
n23

I may have misread your original question - do you see any SQL errors in the logs for the column size? If yes, the problematic table and column will be in the error message.

Or, are you only talking about the DISPLAY on MWS that truncates the view?
Can you post a screenshot of what you are looking at?

@Holger_von_Thomsen, strictly speaking, a change in the column size doesn’t require a restart as the table description is not cached on the IS.

KM

1 Like

Hi,
Yes, I am only referring to the value shown in the MWS process instance detail. The value is truncated, which is why it does not work to do a query in MWS based on the logged field containing some value. I also added a Java service which logs the whole value of the field in a file and tested it by querying for a value appearing at the end and MWS does not find anything.

Br,
n23

I haven’t worked with Processes in a while - can you post a screenshot?

KM

Here you go

This is the logged field

I wanted to see the actual truncation if you can show me that.

Can you go into a specific execution instance and use the “save” or “edit” pipeline option?
Now I see that your issue not the length of the column, but what the dashboard displays/truncates.

KM

Here you go:

As you can see above, the String is truncated.

But in the log file you can see that there’s more:

This is a visualization limit and not the table/column limit - you will see SQL Exceptions in the logs, if the column length restriction was violated.

I don’t know if the dashboard limitation can be increased, but as I mentioned above, if you navigate into this execution instance you will see the “save” and “edit” pipeline options that will give you the entire pipeline.

If you need to increase the visualization limitation, create a ticket with support.

KM

Another option might be to log the IDoc Numbers as ActivityMessages in smaller chunks (or one number per message).

Regards,
Holger

Hi,
I also think that the truncation is made before the actual insert in the DB since querying substrings found at the end of the String does not work.
I would create a ticket but most probably it will take a while to have it solved.

Br,
n23

Hi,

Yes, I am aware of this, but if I do this I won’t be able query for a specific IDOC on MWS level.

Br,
n23

Do let us know how it goes; surely you’re not the first customer to have this requirement.

KM

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.