Java Out of Memory Exception

X-Application Version: 4.1.1
Tamino Version : 4.1.1
Platform : WinXP
WebContainer : Tomcat 4.1.28
JDK Version : 1.4.1

When running an X-Application for an extended period of time, eventually a Java Out of Memory exception is given. Any hints of what to look for, issues that may need to be checked?

Thanks!
-J

Hello,

I could observe that a out of memory occurs when I used the X-Application’s Generator GUI and started multiple generated applications in parallel.

- Did you detect a correlation between actions (browsing documents, modifying documents or creating documents) invoked before the out-of-memory occurred and the running out of memory?

- Does the out-of-memory occur within single or multi-user scenarios.

- Did you set %CATALINA_OPTS% or %JAVA_OPTS% to control the memory usage of Tomcat?

We tested X-Application within multi-user scenarios but did not get a out of memory.

It could be a problem of X-Application when a session still holds references to unused objects and prevents the garbage collection of these objects.

On the other hand, we tested with Tomcat 4.1.18 and you are using 4.1.28. Therefore, it could be also a Tomcat problem.

Bye,
Christian.

The out of memory exception occurs sporatically. I have not been able to pinpoint if it is direcly caused by a create/modify/browse/or search action.
There are two users using the system creating, modifying and searching documents. I will ask them to keep track of what kind of action they have performed before the our of memory exception occurs next time.
One of the users says that before the out of memory exception occurs the web application comes to a crawl. The pages load very slowly and eventualy the out of memory exception happens.

The web application is not the generate web app by the Generator GUI. Also I was using Tomcat 4.1.18 when the out of memory exception first started showing up. I figured ugrading to 4.1.24 would solve it but it didnt.

–joey

Platform : Win2k
WebContainer : Tomcat 4.1.24

[This message was edited by Joey Cz. on 22 May 2003 at 22:43.]

We have not been able to pinpoint the circumstances under which the Java VM runs out memory when running our web application.

What we know for a fact is that under moderate usage of 2 users querying/updating/ and creating new documents for the Capability schema, we encounter the out of memory exception within 20 minutes to an hour.

Would it be possible to email the web application archive to one of you Gurus to take a closer look?

Thanks…

–joeycz

Platform : Win2k
WebContainer : Tomcat 4.1.24