is it possible to dynamically spawn multiple tasks from a task in a Workflow?

I need to dynamically spawn multiple tasks from a single task in a Workflow within the same process model instance. is it possible in webMethods?
Would simple split transitions suffice, or would I need to spawn new workflows from the main workflow ?

I have a requirement where the user submits a request containing multiple files(any number).
Then this request reaches a tester who tests these files. Some files may test to be success, other may be errored. So while errored files are resent back to submitter(using the same request-id), I want the further processing of successful files to happen independently.
In addition, I would also need to maintain consolidated Dashboard for all the requests originally submitted and statuses of all individual files in those requests.

Hi,

If you are using 7.x, you can spawn multiple child processes and then create a sync engine to join back to parent using correlation. The sync engine will publish correlation doc to parent only when all child processes are completed. Also it depends how do you want to save data (either use task data or custom database).

My suggesstion is not to depends on task data as its not permanent (you will have to cleanup / archive that), application data should be in the custom database.

In 8.x, i think you can spawn multiple process in a single step.

Regards,
Sumit

Hi,

sounds like you could use dynamic referenced subprocesses given that you use webMethods 8. The documentations 8-0-SP1_Administering_Process_Engine.pdf on page 49 contains useful information about the topic. So for each succesful file you would start a subprocess containing a task.

Does that help?

Regards,
Mathias

there are many ways to do it…one of the ways is to have dynamic reference process or by using task colloboration.

on wM 7.1.2 i had a similar case where all good documents from the list has to processed further and all bad document has to go back to the previous step.

one way to do is to build a logic so that your task has two output. Good document and bad document. And have two transitions from the task step. One transition will take good document further to the next step. And second transition will take bad document to the previous step.

Jiten