Is it possible for a NATURAL program type use a NATURAL text type?

Hi again :slight_smile:

I’m currently working with a text module we call INDEX.

we have a lot of utility programs spread among the dev library and most of them are duplicates, because people can’t find them.

I created this text module so it will contain all of our utilities in a layout like below:

PROGRAM --- OBJECTIVE                 
BKFRAUD0 --- FRAUD AND EQUIPMENT ID LINKS
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
P4U00100 --- FIX READINGS
P4U00101 --- FIX SIEBEL INTERFACES 07B
P4U00102 --- FIX BILLING HASH         
P4U00103 --- SHOW EQUIPMENT DECAY

is there a way to make a program to read/write/append this module into let’s say an array so I could create a true index with fancy map?

I thought in stacking command to edit the program, but there is no way I could get the content from the program editor area…

We have a ‘black box’ versioner, which copies the programs between environments. I know it accepts text modules as input, but I can’t manage to find it’s modules. I believe it uses some kind of ‘USRXXYYZZ’, because someone here said these modules once were available to see, but aren’t anymore…

Another option (pretty much bad one) I have is to run a batch job to list the program into a workfile and then run a natural batch program to store it in a ddm, but I truly believe there’s a better way to do it.

USR1057N will read a source module into an array for you to manipulate.

The trickier bit is to save the updated array back into Natural. USR1035N can do that.

To use these modules they must be available in a Natural library defined to your Steplib chain. Your Natural Admin can help you with that. Until that’s done you can research (most of) the USRs by downloading the Community Edition of Natural for Windows. It’s free! Once installed, enter the SYSEXT command.