infrastructure of webmethods priducts

hi everybody,

please i need to know what’s the minimum number of servers we need to have to install and support all products of webMethods(IS,UM,Centrasite,Terracotta …).

if there is a benchmark or some architecture exemples of some uses it will be great.

thanks and regards,

Hi Abrabri,

please check the system requirements guide to find out some measurements and supported OSes, Databases, JVMs.

Please provide us the version of wM you are looking for.

Please provide some more details about your application requirements as this well help to calculate needed instances etc.

Regards,
Holger

Hi Abrabri,

Min/Max number it’s all depends on your environment and application/Interfaces needs that are going to involve so it’s tough to give rough estimate on how much CPU’s and server’s to start with etc…

Please try provide us the above info as Holger asked above.

HTH,
RMG

hi,
thinks for your reply.
the component that we have are : MyWebMethods, IS, UM,Centrasite,Terracota. and we have two envirnement: Windows(cause we install an adapter that needs windows configuration) and AIX.we have JDBC and SAP adapters.
we need a heigher disponibility.
te question is how much server we need to have all this solution work with a performence way.

thinks .

Hi Abrabri,

which Adapter do you refer to which needs windows configuration?

Most Adapters I know of run on AIX as well if you are able to get the matching libraries.
Even NTLM Authentications should be possible if the servers get configured correctly.

Without knowing the versions of the different wM components you plan to use it is difficult to give any advise about sizing as the footprint of the components differ from version to version due to several facts.

• JVM version
  • size of libraries
  • 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode (SAP-Adapter requires 64bit mode on most OS)
  • Number of Packages you develop
  • Number of Process Models
  • Number of Adapter Connections/Listeners/Notifications

Regards,
Holger

HI,
the adapters needs windows configuration are : sharepoint and IIS,
the version is 9,7
64-bit mode
Number of Packages : >200
Number of Adapter Connections/Listeners/Notifications :>60

thinks.

Hi Abrabri, the number of servers completely depends on your architecture.

For some requirement, some architect suggest to have more number of servers for better performance. Some other suggest that need one server SAP, one for EDI, one for RosettaNet, one for FTP, one for other integrations. Now its upto you how you select and which server serves what.

Thanks,

hi,
what’s the better way to do it, and if there’s some exemple of both kind of architecture: more number of servers for better performance OR one server for each product???
(advantages and disadvantages)
thinks

Hi Abrabri,

by looking at the number of packages and ART based objects you should check your application how it can be split up into meaningful chunks of code.

We are currently using a mix of the scenarios described by MR:

We are running 5 instances of IS sharing one central Broker(would become UM in newer installations):

• one IS is mostly using SAP-Adapter (mostly IDocs, few RFC) together with WebsphereMQ-Adapter.
  • one IS is using SAP-Adapter (equal mix of IDocs and RFC) and WebServices.
  • one IS is using WebServies, SFTP and some SAP RFC combined with WM JMS Provider (hosted on Broker).
  • one IS is used/planned for internal tasks like Deployer and as a spare instance for upcoming applications.
  • one IS is used as a WebService Provider for custom CAF UIs and Tasks.

All 5 ISes have the same components installed (even some of them do not really use them) for the ease of updating the installations and for moving the application parts from one instance to another when the performance indicates that this might make sense.

All 5 ISes are equipped a set of packages for common tasks like monitoring/archiving/logging and basic support services.

For your scenario I suggest at least the following installations:

• 1 IntegrationServer and 1 UM on Windows for those parts which really needs this.
  • x IntegrationServer(s), 1 UM, 1 CentraSite and 1 MWS on AIX for all the rest.
  • One central Database for all installations where needed (hosted on AIX)
    Communication between the two parts will be only handled by the 2 UM installations.
    If Terracotta is really needed depends on the size of your data and if you need to cluster IS instances for performance issues.

Please note:
Higher number of packages increases startup time of the IntegrationServer and affects the heap size of the JVM in which the IntegrationServer is running.

Once again:
There is no definitiv answer “do it this way or do it that way” as each customers landscape is different and needs apropriate analysis before decision.
You can try to get SAG Consulting involved to help you with this analysis.

I assume you are preparing a migration from an older version?
If so, SAG Consulting provides specific migration support services.

Regards,
Holger

Addendum:

Certain features require separate IS servers:

I.e. when connecting to one single SAP system with different users and/or different clients/mandators which have different access rights on the IDoc Types, RFC Function calls etc. they need to be implemented on separate IntegrationServers as the Repository connection to SAP system cannot differentiate between users and mandators.

When keeping them together on one single IS all users and mandators need to have the superset of the IDoc Types, RFC Function calls etc. as well as the general access to all of them.

Regards,
Holger

I absolutely with Holger on this.

Thanks,

I also echo with Holger points above and can think of engage GCS team to peek view of your environment and asses the landscape that you are looking for infrastructure metrics.

HTH,
RMG

hi,
thank you very much HOLGER and all of you, for your help and advices i really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Best regards,

ABRABRI : Nops, kindly let us know which option you are going to take and reasons for taking the decision if possible.

Thanks,

hi MR as173d ,

we don’t choose any options yet , but we will try to get SAG Consulting involved to help us, as Holger said;

Regards,