Thank you so much Juliane!
I’ve been using XQuery only for a month, and even thought I learned quite a lot, and had to already make 3 pages long queries, some details still elude me. I think I still don’t know the whole subset of Tamino’s XQuery.
Your solution seem so obvious, I don’t know how come I didn’t think of it myself!
The not() function is very useful, so is the fact that I can use text() in a where clause (I wasn’t aware of it). Also I didn’t know I could use node() to check for an existence of a node.
What is better to use? a “" or a node()? Or is it that "” will check for existence of both a text and nodes, whereas node() will only check for existence of nodes?
Thank you so much for pointing these out to me. This will greatly improve my XQueries, since they’re getting rather complicated.
Also, on the note of me criticizing the subset of XQuery in Tamino. I am sure there is more then meets the eye. I am a programmer myself and I can appreciate the amount of work that must go into implementing these things. I also realize I am riding on the “bleeding edge” and there’s a price to pay. However, I would have expected just a little better support of XQuery in Tamino. Call me demanding :).
Same goes for namespaces in schemas - support for them is next to nonexistent, despite what the documentation would make you believe! And yes, I know what I am talking about, since I’ve come across some major bugs that were ultimately forwarded to the development team when it comes to using namespaces in schemas.
Anyways, all this to say that Tamino is a terrific product, but it has still a lot of maturing to do. Nice thing is that there is a community here and we can try to find workarounds for this very young and great technology.