id field?

X-Application Version: 3.1.2, 3.1.1
Tamino Version : 3.1.1
Platform : NT, Win2k, Solaris, …
WebContainer : Tomcat 3.3
JDK Version : 1.3.1

In the schema editor for tsd3 you can enter a “id” for every element. I’ve tried to have more information looking at W3C primer but all I’ve found is an element called “unique”.
How should “id” be used in Tamino?
Can you give me some examples or some links?
Thank you
Paolo :confused:

The Tamino Schema is a subset of the XML Schema and heads towards full XML Schema support in the future. Therefore the “id” attribute is being supported as input field, too. It is unused by Tamino.
I do not have any idea how the XML ID/IDREF mechanism makes sense on parts of a schema.

Unique constraints in XML Schema are not created by “id” but by xs:unique. However this is not yet supported by Tamino.

The “id” attribute is defined by the W3C standard schema standard. The spec says the following:

“The other attributes (id and version) are for user convenience, and this specification defines no semantics for them.”

I find this also quite strange for a standard. But
somehow it is now part of the standard, so we support it.
One intension of it is to access schema components from outside. The meta schema itself defines it for many schema components:
web page

Best regards
Walter

Than is it possible to tell Tamino that all the instances of root elements must have a unique sub-element?
Say: doctype product

Can Tamino check when you insert a new product in that document that the sub-node id has a unique value?
Thanks for your answews!
Paolo

Sorry, but currently Tamino does not provide means for that. This feature is planned for Tamino 4.1.1.

Best regards
Uli
X-Application Version: 3.1.3, 3.1.2, 3.1.1
Tamino Version : 3.1.1
Platform : NT, Win2k, Solaris, …
WebContainer : Tomcat 3.3
JDK Version : 1.3.1

[This message was edited by Admin on 12 Nov 2002 at 12:45.]