I need some advantage / dis advantage analysis on integration approaches

Hi

I need some advantage / dis advantage analysis on the following two integration approach based on the EAI perspective, agile and robust integration design.

Scenario is there are two interfaces between two edge systems, one is webMethods and another one is Oracle fusion middleware. webMethods receives data from source system , publish this into broker and one subscribing service will pick up the data from broker and send it to oracle fusion middleware and fusion middleware send the data to target system. This is the design , this design scenario can not change. Now when interacting between webMethods and oracle fusion then what will be the best approach to be followed

Approach 1)
webMethods collect data from source system and push the data into weblogic queue. This weblogic queue is configured inside the oracle fusion middleware side.

Approach 2)
Oracle fusion middle ware will contact to webMethods boker and will collect the data.in this case no need to create any different queue at weblogic side.

Regards
Avik

I favor approach 2.

Ask yourself the following question. How will a message best survive and guarantee delivery when connectivity is lost between webMethods and fusion? With approach 2, the message sits in the webMethods broker until the client app, fusion, reconnects and retrieves the message. With approach 1, attempting to guarantee delivery of the message to fusion is not as graceful.

Ask yourself the following question. In the future if an additional system wants to also subscribe to the same message, which tier should be the provider, webMethods or fusion? I would think webMethods. Therefore approach 2 solves this most gracefully.

It sounds like webMethods is implemented to provide systems integration in the scenario you described. Therefore, my following suggestion assumes that the webMethods tier is the middle tier, the ESB. My suggestion is focused around decoupling the tiers in your architecture and guarantee delivery of the message.

I favor approach 2. This approach decouples the sender from the receiver better than approach 1. With approach 2, webMethods is decoupled from the target system. webMethods has no knowledge of the target system. With approach 1, it sounds like a point to point to point to point solution.

With approach 2, webMethods publishes the message to its broker for any client subscribing to it may receive it. You explained that fusion sends the data to the target systems. This tells me that fusion has knowledge of the target system. Therefore, coupling already exists between fusion and the target system. That’s OK.

I have seen solutions where fusion is imbedded as part of an Oracle application. The Oracle app cannot function without its fusion module. If this is your case, then definitely approach 2 is your best solution because I see fusion and the Oracle app as an application.

1 Like