hung service

I have a hung service on IS. It is a Linux server. I try to run kill -3 .

How do I get pid? which PID is related to my hung service?

Your service won’t have an OS level PID. Your service is running on a thread within the JVM. You won’t be able to kill it using OS tools.

IS 8.x has added the ability to kill a service using IS Administrator. But you should be cautious in using this. A hung service is not a normal thing–it usually indicates a bug or misconfiguration.

you can use IS admin page (Server > Statistics > System Threads) to stop the service (in wM version 8.x)

[INDENT]you can use IS admin page (Server > Statistics > System Threads) to stop the service (in wM version 8.x)[/INDENT]

[COLOR=#3E3E3E][B]

[/b][/color]

Thank you for the replying. I want to kill it and get thread dump in nohup file. Then I can investigate what happened.

I think normally you’ll want to leave the hung thread active and capture a thread dump–so that the dump will show what the thread is waiting on.

I ask admin to suspend scheduler and active it again. The service is running. Do I still need kill that hung service?

If you’re running 8.x, use the IS Administrator page mja4wm noted to kill the service (thread). Starting and stopping the scheduled task doesn’t do anything to any currently running service.

If you’re on 7.x you’ll need to restart IS to clear the hung thread.

Thank you. I asked admin to kill the hung service through the system thread.