How to READ Japanese (Kanji) data

In our shop, few fields on a file have Kanji data. Currently, when we read this file the data is displayed in ENGLISH. How one should verify Kanji data or is there a way to display these fields in KANJI (characters)?

Can *LANGUAGE (with code 59) will help in this regards?

Besides *LANGUAGE, you also need to make sure your display terminal is able to show such characters. A normal 3270 window won’t do it.

I think most likely you need to be using the Natural Web Interface modules for your display. I don’t know much about how to use them, but hopefully if you look this up, it will lead you in the right direction.

If “Kanji data” refers to DBCS data on IBM platforms: each DBCS characters consists of two bytes in the range X’41’ through X’FE’, the DBCS blank is X’4040’. DBCS data embedded in SBCS EBCDIC data is enclosed in shift-out and shift-in characters (X’0E’ and X’0F’). For display, Natural supports such embedded DBCS data as well as DBCS only data without shift-out and shift-in. The latter is displayed using the PM=D session parameter.
To display DBCS data correctly, you need to find out the correct code page of your data first. Typical code pages are IBM-939 and IBM-930, where IBM-930 contains half-width Katakana characters for the codepoints where normal EBCDIC code pages have located the lower case latin characters. IBM-939 has the usual lower case latin characters starting from X’81’.
Then you’ll need a terminal emulation that is able to display DBCS characters, e.g. IBM Personal Communications. For this terminal emulation, the Japanese Windows MUI DVD must have have been installed on your PC and you must switch Windows to Japanese.
Start Natural with the profile parameters LC=ON SOSI=(0E,0E,0F,0F,1) added to your normal settings, and add TS=ON if code page IBM-930 is used. If you have everything configured correctly, the following report mode program should display nice Japanese characters:
A(A10) := H’C1C20E65FE66FE0FC3C4’
B(A04) := H’45FE46FE’
INPUT (AD=O IP=OFF) //
'MIX WITH SO/SI ’ 20T A 32T 'IN HEX ’ A (EM=H(10)) //
‘PM=D (DBCS ONLY)’ 20T B (PM=D) 32T 'IN HEX ’ B (EM=HHHH)
END

We are on 3270 using HummingBird, not sure if it supports translation facility. I know Putty(UTF-8) for Unix has such an option.

I don’t know much either(about Natural Web Interface), but let me check.

If anyone had faced this please share your suggestions.

If you want to use the Web I/O interface for display, you should try e.g. CP=939 as profile parameter for Natural. You will not need the terminal emulation and the other parameters then.