How to create a flow service to parse a file with fixed record lengths (as opposed to a CSV)?

I was reading about how to create a flow service to parse a CSV file,

http://techcommunity.softwareag.com/pwiki/-/wiki/Main/Flat+File+Processing+Tutorial#section-Flat+File+Processing+Tutorial-Step4CreateAFlowServiceToReadAndParseYourFlatFile.

We have a file with fixed record lengths – that is, field 1 is located at indexes 0 to 15 of the line, field to is index 16 to 20 of the line, and so on. How would we create a flow service with those kinds of processing rules?

Hi, Tony. In defining your flat file schema, tutorial step 3, select Record Parser Type - Fixed length.

I don’t think it will have any impact on your flow service as long as you allow the convertToValues service to parse according to the ff schema.

I don’t understand your reference to “processing rules”. Can you clarify?
Thanks,
Mary

Thanks for this info. By “other processing rules,” I’m referring mostly to validation. For example, if the first field needs to be a number between 1 and 1000 in order to be inserted into the db, after we parse the file, we would want to validate the data.

Got it. The convertToValues output, ffValues, document should contain the information is the format required for you to proceed with any special validation or other processing.
Thanks,
Mary