GetMsg and PutMsg vs. ReceiveMsg and SendMsg

Hello,

I was curious when I should use a getmsg and putmsg versus a receivemsg and sendmsg operation. It seems the getMsg and receivemsg are synonymous to each other. Thanks in advance.

Phillip,

• The SendMsg operation was kept for backward compatibility and is similar to the PutMsg operation. The PutMsg operation is recommended for new configurations.

• The GetMsg and ReceiveMsg operations are not synonymous:

The ReceiveMsg operation establishes a separate thread to monitor an MQSeries queue for messages. When a message appears on the queue, the ReceiveMsg operation receives the message from the queue, and publishes it as a Broker Document, causing the initiation of an integration component. The ReceiveMsg operation then continues to monitor the queue for more messages. The ReceiveMsg thread will continue to monitor the queue until the adapter is shutdown.

By contrast, the GetMsg operation is used to receive one message from an MQSeries queue. It is invoked as part of an integration component, and
returns the message to the integration in a Broker Document. The document can then be published by the integration component. The GetMsg operation cannot cause the initiation of an integration component.

Don Sargent
Product Manager
webMethods, Inc.
Adapter Technologies Group
work: 703-460-2501
mobile: 703-472-4199

Hi, Don,

I am trying to use ReceiveMsg to listen to two queues from one queue manager, and it is clearly stated in the document; I created two entries of “readQueueName” fields with two different queue names that are on the same queue manager.
It turned out that the results observed are inconsistent.

Could you let me know if this is a bug to be fixed or something I may have done wrong in my integrations or configured operation?

Thanks a lot.

Jay
jay.shen@mckesson.com

Jay,

The adapter can’t use two instances of the ‘readQueueName’ filter field in the same configured operation. You should create
two configured operations, one for each queue.

Don Sargent
Product Manager
webMethods, Inc.
Adapter Technologies Group
work: 703-460-2501
mobile: 703-472-4199