Flat files Via FTP

Vijaya,

i have a field called trailer which should have the total number of records as its value.How can I receive the total records and assign to trailer.

You should build this logic in the mapping once you parsed the flatfile.

Regarding Blank field select Start and End positions not default…and specify the index.

HTH,
RMG

RMG,
Thanks to ur timely help.
Can i proceed without setting this blank field definiftion.I think in both ways( with and without blank field)the user has to enter the blanks of 1156 charlength in the flat file (ff.txt).Anyhow the schema is parsed the file successfully.So why should we add this field definition in that Parent record?IS it necessary?

Iam using IS 6.0 and iam trying to create the service which is used to receive the ff.txt from IS via FTP.
As u said,I think these are the steps to be followed in the service.
FTPing a flatfile say (ff.txt)your service input should be ffdata(object–stream)then your sample flow steps are

1. pub.client.ftp (set command=GET)
    2.streamTobytes(convert ffdata to bytes)
    3.bytesToString(convert bytes to flatfile string)
    4.pub.flatfile:convertToValues(This will parse the flatfile based on the FFSchema you have created…gives output ffValues (IDATA Document))
    start Mapping…
    IS IT RIGHT?
    Thanks,
    Viji

So why should we add this field definition in that Parent record?IS it necessary?
If the blank is the showstopper then Blank fielddefinition is required otherwise,you can ignore it.

If you are ftping the file(ff.txt) directly to the service the service input should be ffdata(stream object)and these are the steps to follow
1.streamTobytes(convert ffdata to bytes)
2.bytesToString(convert bytes to flatfile string)
3.pub.flatfile:convertToValues(This will parse the flatfile based on the FFSchema you have created…gives output ffValues (IDATA Document))
start Mapping…

How the user is sending the file?
If the user stores the file in a directory and you are pulling it then…

3.bytesToString(convert content(bytes) to flatfile string)
    4.pub.flatfile:convertToValues(This will parse the flatfile based on the FFSchema you have created…gives output ffValues (IDATA Document))
    start Mapping…

I hope you are clear on this.

HTH,
RMG

Thanks RMG,
Now iam working on the same service.I will use the steps.I hope it will be running properly.
Thanks,
Viji

let us know if still problem persists.

Goodluck,

Hi,
I am not able to ftp my file from server on to webMethods FTP port without changing its extension to .txt. when i execute put command from ftp> prompt
ftp> put ORDRS1.2331320.x12
Error message : " Cannot write".

Can u help me to execute this ftp command directly.
when I execute this as
ftp> put ORDRS1.2331320.x12.txt
CWD successful.

Pls help me in this regard.

Thanks
Amit

Amit,

I beleive you can only use with extension as .txt or .dat or .xml or .csv etc… then ftp will be successful.since webMethods contenthandler will accept any of the above.Otherthan above then you have create own custom contenthandler in WM a bit of more work.

HTH,
RMG

You can put files with any other extension but the ‘default’ ones such as .txt, .xml etc to the Integration Server by explicitly passing the content-type in the PUT command:

put [localfilename] [remotefilename];[remotecontenttype]

Replace the ‘/’ in the content type with ‘:’.

For example, an xml file with extension .exm can be put to the integration server using the command:

put test.exm test.exm;text:xml

Regards,

Koen

RMG,
I have created the service in 6.1 to receive the flat file from FTP.
In this i have inluded the steps

3.bytesToString(convert content(bytes) to flatfile string)
    4.pub.flatfile:convertToValues(This will parse the flatfile based on the FFSchema you have created…gives output ffValues (IDATA Document)) .
    But i didn’t declare any input for this service in the pipeline(like stream or node).
    And it is not working ,
    Do i have to establish the FTP Sessions thru the service?
    I just logged into FTP .
    Can you please clarify me in FTP handling with Developer?
    Thanks

What is the error you are getting?

pub.client.ftp(GET)do your user have enough access to connect that remote FTP system.

please elaborate.

HTH,
RMG

One more thing,If you are using ftp command get extract the content/bytes from the serviceoutput and so there is no need to set input since your whole code is wrapped in one flowservice right?

HTH,
RMG

Yes.I have enclosed all steps into a single service.And i removed the input from the service.
Using PUT service i have placed a flat file in FTP under one
folder.when i try to use GET with the same directory path , it is giving File not found exception.please help me to get rid out of it.

Thanks

Hi guyz

I am having in the production server. If we try to hit the url http://hostname:5555 we don’t get the usual login dialog-box. It show some funny page with “Listing of” then Type, filename, date modified etc below that; and the name of the html page is “Directory of ()”. Well these are seemingly entries from the dir.html file but I have no idea what is happening or what is the cause for all these! Worst, this is the production machine! Help please!

Thanking you in advance!

Aqaba

More info on the login screen problem. I am 100% positive that what is displayed is the content of the “IntegrationServer\lib\dir.html” file but no idea how it is called and what is calling it??? !!!

Amon,

Looks like the IS index.dsp file may got corrupted,but if you use [url]http://hostname:5555/WmRoot[/url] then the login box will show up.so this wont stop you work on.

But i am not sure why the index file is corrupted,even we have the same problem seen in one of our QA system.

HTH,
RMG