Empty values in Flatfile Records

Hi,
Present iam working in webmethods4.6 version.iam trying to separate fields in flatfile records using string tokenizer but some records have no fields in flafile.So if i excute the service this error is coming “java.lang.NullPointerException”.So tell me where iam going to wrong and how can i solve this problem.
with regards,
venkat

Hi,
Present iam working in webmethods4.6 version.iam trying to separate fields in flatfile records using string tokenizer but some records have no fields in flafile.So if i excute the service this error is coming “java.lang.NullPointerException”.So tell me where iam going to wrong and how can i solve this problem.
with regards,
venkat

This is a “feature” of StringTokenizer. It doesn’t correctly handle empty tokens. As of JDK 1.4, String.split() does what you are looking for.

If you must use an older JDK and you want to stay with StringTokenizer, you can use the alternate constructor:

StringTokenizer(String str, String delim, boolean returnDelims)

This will return the tokens along with the delimiters. You will have to write your own logic to strip the delimiters and recognize the delimiters-only case that signals an empty field.