Eclipse plugin (again)

Hello all,

for weeks, I am trying to get the Eclipse plugin working. I can’t. I can use the web-interface, but I’d like to have the Eclipse plugin working as well.
I have enabled Application Designer Access in the Project properties; for Web Application, I used the path to my project.
When I try to open a layout-file in the Layout Painter, an empty grey pain comes up. In the Eclipse log file, I find this stack-trace that is attached.

Can anybody give me a hint on how to solve this problem?
log.txt (10.4 KB)

This is the stack trace from Maarten, it looks like there is something wrong with parsing the client configuration…

ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2007-07-04 11:10:28.266
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2007-07-04 11:10:28.266
!MESSAGE java.lang.NullPointerException
!STACK 0
java.lang.Error: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.softwareag.cis.gui.swt.util.CIClientConfig.parseClientConfig(CIClientConfig.java:651)
at com.softwareag.cis.gui.swt.util.CIClientConfig.(CIClientConfig.java:222)
at com.softwareag.cis.gui.swt.util.CIClientConfig.getInstance(CIClientConfig.java:239)
at com.softwareag.cis.gui.swt.corecontrols.CIBrowser.buildBrowser(CIBrowser.java:1254)
at com.softwareag.cis.gui.swt.corecontrols.CIBrowser.(CIBrowser.java:419)
at com.softwareag.cis.gui.swt.corecontrols.CIBrowserEclipsePlugin.(CIBrowserEclipsePlugin.java:24)
at com.softwareag.cis.gui.swt.plugin.editors.CIPluginEditor.createPartControl(CIPluginEditor.java:98)
at com.softwareag.cis.gui.swt.plugin.editors.CILayoutPainterEditor.createPartControl(CILayoutPainterEditor.java:37)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:596)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:372)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:566)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartPane.setVisible(PartPane.java:290)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.PresentablePart.setVisible(PresentablePart.java:140)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.PresentablePartFolder.select(PresentablePartFolder.java:268)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.LeftToRightTabOrder.select(LeftToRightTabOrder.java:65)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.TabbedStackPresentation.selectPart(TabbedStackPresentation.java:394)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.refreshPresentationSelection(PartStack.java:1144)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.setSelection(PartStack.java:1097)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.showPart(PartStack.java:1311)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.add(PartStack.java:455)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorStack.add(EditorStack.java:102)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.add(PartStack.java:441)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorStack.add(EditorStack.java:111)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorSashContainer.addEditor(EditorSashContainer.java:60)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorAreaHelper.addToLayout(EditorAreaHelper.java:217)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorAreaHelper.addEditor(EditorAreaHelper.java:207)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.createEditorTab(EditorManager.java:822)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditorFromDescriptor(EditorManager.java:721)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditor(EditorManager.java:682)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2593)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2528)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$10(WorkbenchPage.java:2520)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$9.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2505)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:67)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2500)
at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu.openEditor(OpenWithMenu.java:288)
at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu.access$0(OpenWithMenu.java:280)
at org.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu$2.handleEvent(OpenWithMenu.java:184)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1085)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3180)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2856)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1930)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1894)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:422)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:95)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:78)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:92)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:68)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:400)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:177)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(libgcj.so.70)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:280)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)

More news. When I was doing something completely different with Eclipse, I found that some XML-files did not get parsed correctly. The log messages suggested that some GNU library was being used. Taking a look at the Java VM in which Eclipse was running, it turned out that it used a GNU GCJ-based Java VM.

Using

-vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/

as a parameter to the eclipse executable I changed the Java VM to Sun’s one, version 1.5. By now, I can use the Eclipse plugin of Application Designer to connect to the webserver.

When I try to open an existing XML-file (generated by the web user interface), CPU usage jumps to 100% for a very long time. The title-bar of Eclipse changes to “CI SWT Client”, which looks rather promising. After waiting a long time I end up with the plain XML file, opened in the “source”-tab. When I click the “design”-tab, I do not get the Layout Painter, but instead there’s just the structure of the XML-file (I guess it’s a standard Eclipse editor).

So, there’s little progress, but we aren’t there yet. I’ve attached a log file.
eclipse.3.log (5.33 KB)