Do we need to logon/logoff broker when using EntireX RPC?

someone has told me that with the recent versions of EntireX (v7.1.1 or above), it’s no longer necessary to use log on and log off for the broker object; it’s automatically handled by the EntireX. Is that true?

Hi Choung,

which Wrapper’s Broker object are you referring to? Can you give some more background to you rquestion?

Regards, Dietmar.

Hi Dietmar,

I am referring to EntireX .NET Broker.

The way I have been doing with EntireX is that I first need to create a broker instance, and then log on to the broker. Something like this:

Broker = New Broker("XXXX:XXX")
        Broker.Logon("")        
        Service = New Service(Broker, "RPC/SRV1/CALLNAT")

rpclibObj = New SoftwareAG.EntireX.NETWrapper.Generated.MyApp.Rpclib(service)

and when I finish the call, I log off the broker:

Broker.Logoff()     

But someone told me that with the recent versions of entirex, it’s not necessary to logon/logoff broker. EntireX automatically handles it.

Could you please explain what’s new here?

Thanks,
chuong

Hi Choung,

you can only avoid logging on to the Broker (by whatever means) if security is not enabled. In this case it is not required (but also not forbidden) to issue broker.Logon(…) and broker.Logoff().

If Broker security is enabled you need to logon in the .NET Wrapper by either

• calling broker.Logon(…) and broker.Logoff()
  • defining a user-id and password in the application configuration file (.exe.config)

Regards, Dietmar.

It might not be “necessary” but it is almost always a good thing to do the logon/logoff. These allow the Broker to manage its resources most efficiently. I’ve had clients who have had signficant performance issues because their applications did not use the logon/logoff. If a logon is not issued, an implicit logon is done on the first call from a client (even if security is enabled). Once the client is finished, a logoff allows the Broker to immediately release the client’s resources and make them available to the next client call.

There is a Broker Attribute file parameter that allows the logon to be required - this is recommended for performance reasons, but can be turned off to allow implicit logons. Given my experience, I do not recommend avoiding the explicit logon/logoff call.

While doing some loadtesting of RPC calls we ran into some constraints where we exceed 250 users.
After some experimentation we discovered that we need to logoff() to free up the resources.
This was EntireX 7.1 and using the Java wrapper.