content handlers

When a file is submitted to a service, webMethods determines the mime type (in the HTTP header) and invokes the appropriate content handler. How? In order to handle non-xml files, you register the content handler you wrote (see below) with webMethods mapped to a particular mime-type. I basically write a one line java service and set it as a startup service (ServerAPI.registerContentHandler(“text/plain”, new MimeContentHandler());). This will make the service startup when you start the b2b server.
The actual content handler is a java class (not a service) that you put into the ‘classes’ directory in the same package as the startup service. It implements the ContentHandler interface. So when a file is submitted with a mime type of “text/plain”, webMethods looks at it’s registered handlers and invokes the appropriate one before your b2b service is invoked. The default handler in webMethods is that text/xml files are parsed into a node, so your service can expect a node as an input value.

To make the service a startup service, go into your B2B Integrator, click on
the package where the service is located, at the bottom, click on the
“Startup/Shutdown/Replication Services” tab. At the top (in the Startup
services section), move the service over to the “Selected
services” side. You’re all set.

Will Kriski
Digital Oilfield Inc.

webMethods support informed me that with IntegrationServer 4.6, you do not need to use content handlers. Is this true? I know there is an example flow delivered in the “samples”, but I am having trouble implementing the flow. I think the sample is “writeToFile”. I understand the content handler functionality, but without the content handler, how does the incoming file get “put” into the pipeline to be used by the flow?

Thanks for any explanation…