Clarifications on webMethods Devops

What product/components do you use and which version/fix level are you on?

10.7 webMethods Integration Server + Deployer + ABE with latest fix

Is your question related to the free trial, or to a production (customer) instance?

Customer Instance

What are you trying to achieve? Please describe it in detail.

Hi All,

I am trying to implement Devops for webMethods using Jenkins and ABE.
I am able to create build using build script of ABE, I am able to create project using project automator file and script. I am able to deploy the build using deployer script using Jenkins pipeline.

I want to achieve few scenarios like,

1. Patch deployment using Devops - Is it possible to do patch deployment using Devops for webMethods? Example: In package if there are 10 flow service available, I need to modify one flow service only, and deploy that one flow service using Devops.
  2. If there are 10 packages in source folder, only one package is getting deployed when I run Jenkins job. I observed that, in project automator file we have to enter ‘composite name’, whichever package name from source folder gets match with composite name mentioned in automator file, it is getting deployed. Remaining 9 packages are not getting deployed.
  3. Once we run Jenkins job, all the packages available in repo will get deploy OR latest packages which are not available in target server will deploy. (As per best practice, latest packages should get deploy instead of all the packages available in repo)
  4. How Jenkins will identify the list of latest packages from repo and pass it to webMethods.

Could you please share your experience for above scenarios OR any articles/documents which can help to achieve this.

Thanks in advance.

Do you get any error messages? Please provide a full error message screenshot and log file.

NA

Have you installed all the latest fixes for the products and systems you are using?

Yes

I strongly recommend not doing this. It is conceptually roughly equivalent to wanting to replace a single method within a class. The suggestion is to treat the IS package as the smallest unit of deployment – all of it or none of it. wM Deployer has a function to aid “patch” deployments. Might work for some but we avoid it. The “all or nothing” approach to package deployment simplifies the process and helps avoid future confusion.

In one view of the world, there is no such thing as a “best practice.” I know when the phrase “best practice” is used most people mean “practice used by many that works for a given scenario.” Who declared the approach above to be the “best”? I can easily see a situation where deploying all the packages would be preferable – which one is “best”? Neither. Either a practice works for your situation or it does not. The “best” label is useless fluff. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Technically possible, but I would recommend see the recommendation from Rob. You would need to use components instead of composites in the project automator file.

Project Automator support regex to deploy multiple packages.

I would recommend generating the Project automator file that is responsible for what assets to be deployed.

1 Like

Thanks Reamon and Srikanth for inputs on my query.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.